Cyprus, an island in the eastern Mediterranean, has long been famed for its warm climate and sun-drenched beaches. There are many gems which lay further inland too, idyllic areas that are often overshadowed by the wine-growing regions and archaeological sites traditionally drawing the tourist crowds. Scenic villages lay dotted across the central mountain range, places which offer a wealth of opportunities to explore the different stages of the island’s rich history. Oozing charm and with an abundance of historic architecture, these remote villages are Cypriot must sees no matter what the season.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Kakopetria is supposedly named after an evil rock, with kako meaning evil and petra meaning rock in English. Local legend says this rock originally rolled over to crush two newlyweds. But despite the ominous reputation, Kakopetria is a top spot exuding friendliness and unbeatable Greek hospitality. Located on the foothills of the beautiful Troödos Mountains, the village is just a short drive away from the bustling capital of Nicosia, and the enchanting medieval quarters of the village are primarily composed of winding streets filled with flowerpots, quaint stone houses and charming overhanging balconies. Tall trees shelter the vibrant stone paved central square, where one can indulge in some of the best traditional Loukoumathes (Greek honey doughnuts) in the region.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The name ‘Lefkara’ derives from the combination of Greek words ‘Lefka’, meaning white, and ‘Ori’, meaning hills, and indeed it is located on the idyllic and undulating southern slopes of the Troödos Mountains. The village is most famous for its production of top quality lace, and according to local legend even the famous Italian artist Leonardo da Vinci made a trip here to purchase a lace cloth in 1481. A main draw for tourists today are the groups of women who sit outside in the streets working diligently on fine embroidery. Other attractions within the village include a small Turkish delight factory and a folklore museum, an establishment which provides an enthralling glimpse at what life in Cyprus was like hundreds of years ago.
With only 100 permanent residents, Lofou is the perfect location for visitors to find a piece of relaxation in Cyprus. Arab invasions preceding the Frank era in the 12th century meant Cypriot locals were forced to abandon the coasts and relocate further inland, and the large hills surrounding this village made it a well-protected, sought after spot in which to settle in. Since this time, Lofou has been renowned for its stunning mountain terrains, picturesque, cream colored buildings and verdant vegetation.
Situated geographically within the renowned wine region of the Limassol district, Omodos is a village which prides itself on producing sweet grape flavors and exquisite wines. Fruit trees and luscious vines are regularly cultivated in the region, and many local outlets offer visitors the chance to sample wines free of charge. The encompassing mountains here provide a stunning backdrop for the contrasting red rooves and pale stone of the village houses, elevating this place as one of the most picturesque in the region. The native villagers are renowned for their enthusiastic friendliness and warm hospitality, and other local sites of interest here include the medieval winepress, a wine-making device dating back 500 years, and the Monastery of the Holy Cross, one of the oldest and most historically significant religious sites on the entire island.
Platres is an idyllic destination surrounded by lush greenery. A versatile spot, in the summer, city residents flock to the village to escape the sticky coastal heat, and in winter the resort serves as a skiing base for the nearby slopes at Mount Olympus. Its location deep within the mountains means it is a spot offering a wealth of outdoor hiking and biking trails, and the number of visitors to the region has flourished rapidly in recent times due to the number of quaint hotels established here by colonial settlers. Observe the region’s rich local flora at the nearby Caledonia nature trail, and when you reach the end you will discover a surprise in the form of Cyprus’ tallest waterfall.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.