Famed for its wild and rocky coastline, the quiet and idyllic west coast of Cyprus isn’t just about seaside lazing. Peel yourselves away from the sun loungers and discover the best of rural Cyprus, from awe-inspiring religious landmarks to traditional villages home to generations of wine makers.
Cyprus has a reputation for stunning religious architecture but few travellers will have visited this isolated monastery in the lush Paphos Forest. Chrysoroyiatissa has been producing its own wine since the 1980s and you should also check out the elevated terrace for panoramic views of the surrounding forest and the nearby Asprogia-Kannaviou dam, where pine trees fringe the iridescent waters.
E703, Pano Panagia, Cyprus
Leave the west coast hubs of Polis Chrysochous and Latchi and head towards the village of Evretou, home to the third largest dam on the island which many mistake for a lake. If you explore the surrounding countryside, you’ll come across the pretty, medieval Skarfos Bridge, built by Venetians in 1618 next to an old water mill.
Paphos District of Cyprus, located six km southwest of Lysos
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Val’s Place, Gialia Village
For a magical sunset view with a cocktail, look no further than Val’s Place in the village of Gialia. With unobstructed views across the deep blue of the Mediterranean Sea, this hippie haven is big on homegrown produce and all things organic. Try one of their delicious homemade smoothies, the spoon sweets (fruits soaked in syrup) and the cheese and charcuterie platters.
8875, Gialia, Polis, Paphos, Cyprus
You’ll need to hire a 4×4 or book a safari ride to get here, but the drive itself is bound to be thrilling. The route cuts through the stunning Akamas Nature Reserve (a designated Natura 2000 site), a real masterpiece of gorges and valleys that give way to a wild coastline dotted with golden-sand bays and hidden coves. Lara Bay is well known by nature lovers and environmentalists as a nesting spot in the summer for both the loggerhead turtle and the rarer green turtle.
Opening hours: 9am–6pm.
Ask anyone about the most magnificent medieval bridge on the island and they are bound to say ‘Tzelefos’. But ask them if they’ve actually been here, and chances are they haven’t. Totally off the beaten track, far from civilization and commanding a magical spot in the Paphos Forest, taking the time to visit this Venetian bridge is probably one of the most rewarding experiences you could ask for. A totally hidden site, this bridge was once the only way locals could cross the Diarizos river (with camels, donkeys, and carriages) transporting them from the nearby villages to the sea.
Paphos Forest, six km from Ayios Nikolaos Village
Vasilikon Winery, Kathikas village
Located on the breezy slopes of the Troodos Mountains, the Vasilikon Winery is a fantastic place to sample some of the island’s best red, white and rosé, with grapes picked from the family vineyards. There’s also a little museum that sheds light on Cyprus’ rich winemaking history which dates back almost 6000 years. Vouni Panayia is also a treat to visit, with many indigenous wines, including whites: Xynisteri, Promara and Spourtiko and reds: Maratheftiko, Yiannoudi and Ntopio Mavro.
Vasilikon Winery, Kathikas village, Cyprus, (+357) 26 633500
Vouni Panayia Winery, Pano Panayia village, Cyprus, (+357) 26 722770
Avakas Gorge, Akamas Peninsula
While most locals know about the Avakas Gorge, only the most adventurous take the time to explore this stunning natural wonder on foot. Hidden deep in the Akamas Peninsula Nature Reserve, this magnificent limestone gorge rises to a height of 30 metres (98 feet). The reserve is home to a whopping 530 indigenous plants, including 35 rare species so keep your eyes peeled for wild flowers and herbs as you explore.
Avakas Gorge Rd, Peyia, Cyprus
Located right by the picturesque Pomos fishing harbour in one of the West coast’s more remote parts, this pebbly spot is dotted with no more than a dozen umbrellas and is home to a tiny beach hut serving frothy frappes (Cyprus’ famous iced coffee) and cold beers. When the hunger pangs kick in, head up to Kanalli Restaurant for a sumptuous mouth-watering fish meze – just ask for the fresh catch of the day!
Right on the border of Northern and Southern Cyprus, Grape by the Sea is one of the most remote beach bars you’ll ever come across. Requiring a drive through the wild countryside between Pomos and Pyrgos to get here, it adds a hip flair to an otherwise very traditional village. With tables and chairs right by the water’s edge, cool down with a signature mojito or enjoy a bite to eat, before taking a cool dip in the sea.
26 Nikola Pilidi St, Kato Pyrgos, Cyprus, (+357) 96-292959
Where to stay?
If you want to enjoy a holiday in pure style on the west coast, the five-star Anassa Hotel is famed for its dreamy and unique hillside location. Just five minutes from the little fishing village of Latchi, the secluded resort lies on landscaped gardens dotted with local herbs, trees and flowers, and has been meticulously designed to resemble a Mediterranean village, complete with whitewashed buildings and cobbled paths weaving through the complex.
To find out more and book your stay at Anassa Hotel, visit Sovereign’s website or call 01293 765 003. Sovereign is offering a 10-night holiday to Cyprus, from £2,149 per person, including a week at Anassa Hotel, return flights from Gatwick, airport fast pass and private resort transfers.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.