In southwestern Puerto Rico, near Lajas, is the quaint little village of La Parguera. In a few waterfront blocks you can sip mojitos, munch on a pincho, and shop for colorful souvenirs. Do not limit your excursion to the malecón (boardwalk), because just a few steps away you will find jovial bars and restaurants with drinks specials and amazing food. La Parguera is also a nature-lover’s paradise with ample opportunities for snorkeling, diving, hiking, birdwatching, biking, and so much more.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Parguera Fishing Charters
Until you experience deep-sea fishing for yourself, you won’t understand the excitement of pulling in that big ocean fish, and Captain Mickey of Mareja Parguera Fishing Charters provides one of the best experiences on the island. Your first thrill will be going out on his boat so far that you can barely see land. Just watching the waves for miles and miles is an exhilarating experience. As his first mate works diligently to get the poles ready and help find some fish, you can relax and smile and have some snacks. As the fish hit, you take turns pulling them in. They will clean them for you when you return, and if you can’t use them all yourself, they keep them and share them with family and friends.
Paradise SCUBA & Snorkeling
La Parguera in Lajas is a phenomenal destination for all things nature-related. There are mangrove reserves, nature reserves, and a bioluminescent bay, all of which combine for wonderful snorkeling and SCUBA. The Wall Dive is a favorite for SCUBA fans, where you will see brilliant marine life in a myriad of colors. Another favorite is the Bio Bay tour, where you can snorkel or swim as the dinoflagellates light up around you. Paradise also provides SCUBA certification.
La Playita Rosada
La Parguera in Lajas has incredible natural attractions, from mangrove reserves to sea turtles to a bioluminescent bay, and the waters are beautiful, but it is not blessed with the pristine beaches found in other parts of Puerto Rico. That did not stop this little community: they put up a deck around an area of water, added netting that goes to the sea floor so nothing big can get in, and created an ocean pool. This is an amazing place to take your family and enjoy some fun in the sun.
La Parguera Malecón
When the opportunity presented itself, the neighborhood of La Parguera jumped at the chance to revitalize and revamp the center of their town into a celebratory destination for locals and tourists alike to enjoy. The boardwalk, or malecón, is hopping on the weekends and is an great place for food, drink, music, laughter, and friendship. Oh, and shopping, too.
Moon’s Bar and Tapas
Just a block off of the boardwalk is the extraordinary treat called Moon’s. They have very comfortable covered outdoor seating and plenty of fans to keep you cool on those hot days. All of their ingredients are fresh and they buy locally whenever possible. Try the ceviche with root vegetable chips and a plate of their setas con chorizo y tres quesos y pesto, mushrooms stuffed with chorizo sausage and three kinds of cheese, all topped with a dab of pesto. Try to save some room for the stuffed grouper and any of the other tantalizing entrées.
Los Morrillos Lighthouse
A scenic 45-minute drive west will take you to the lighthouse in Cabo Rojo. The Cabo Rojo Lighthouse, which dates back to 1881, is called Faro Los Morrillos in Spanish and is still in use today as it helps ships through the Isla de Mona Passage. There is a short drive down a rather bumpy dirt road, but take your time and you will be fine. They have a trolley that runs from the parking lot up to the lighthouse, and there is also a paved path that you can walk up. It is in full sun, so make sure to dress appropriately, wear a hat and sunscreen, and bring water. Inside the lighthouse is a museum with displays explaining the history of the building. It is also a great place for a wedding, and you can take amazing photos from the clifftops.
Playa Sucia, Cabo Rojo
Remote, rustic and very scenic, La Playuela, more commonly known as Playa Sucia, can be a challenge to get to as you drive down dirt roads through the Salt Flats and the wildlife refuge, but it is worth every bump and pothole when you get there. The waters are very blue and there are trees along the beach where you can find a shady spot. Take a walk to the other side of the bay and hike to the top of the cliffs where you can walk out onto the natural bridge for some incredible photo opportunities. On low-season weekdays you may have the entire beach to yourself; the crowds are bigger on weekends and during spring break. When vendors come to the beach you can buy parcha, coco, or piña helado, or a freshly made mojito. It is very rustic, with no picnic tables, benches, or restrooms. There are trash receptacles at the start of the trail to the beach, so bring some bags and clean up after yourself. There are no fees for parking or entry.
Fiesta San Pedro La Parguera
Every municipality in Puerto Rico has a patron saint, and San Pedro is the patron saint of La Parguera. On the last weekend in June they have a festival to celebrate San Pedro and thank him for watching over their community and bringing success to the fishers of the area. There is music and food and drinks throughout the weekend, and on Sunday the big event is the boat parade, when dozens of colorful boats float through the waters of La Parguera. This annual homage is nearly seven decades old, and is not only a fun event, but is educational as well.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.