Arguably the most beautiful setting of a lighthouse in Puerto Rico is that of Faro Los Morillos de Cabo Rojo, the Cabo Rojo Lighthouse. Here is a quick guide to help you plan your trip to the Cabo Rojo Lighthouse.
Puerto Rico’s other lighthouses
There are approximately 15 lighthouses around the island of Puerto Rico, and 11 of them are still active. The oldest is the faro, or lighthouse, at Castillo de Morro in San Juan which was established in 1846, and most of the rest were established within the next 50 years. In 1981, all of the lighthouses were placed on the National Register of Historic Places, so many of them continued to be maintained for use and for tourism.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
You will be traveling down 301 that will take you all the way to the lighthouse, but about 1.1 kilometers from the parking area, the road becomes a dirt road, and it is bumpy with a lot of potholes. Do not let that deter you, just take your time and look for the smoothest areas possible. Drive on either side of the road, it is what everyone does and visitors are always watching for other cars. While this may not be the most comfortable ride, you will still see some fascinating sights like the salt flats, and there is a lot of scrub forest and even cactus. If you’re a bird watcher, this path goes through the wildlife refuge, so keep your eyes peeled for interesting birds, and of course you will probably see an iguana or two.
What to bring
Wear comfortable clothing and sturdy shoes, particularly if you plan to do hiking beyond just walking up to the lighthouse. There is a paved path that is approximately .5 kilometers long stretching from the parking lot to the lighthouse, but there is also a free trolley that runs about every 10 minutes between the two. You should also bring water and bug spray, and a hat and sunscreen if you are going to walk around outside, and make sure you pack your beach bag if you want to enjoy the most beautiful bay in Puerto Rico.
The history of the lighthouse
Cabo Rojo Lighthouse was built in 1882 and was the second built by the Spaniards. Its lantern room was constructed of cast iron, copper and glass, and is still beautiful to this day. The lighthouse also had housing for the keeper and his family as he helped guide ships through Mona Passage. Today this is automated, but it is still the aid that ship captains use to safely sail this part of the Caribbean.
Other things to do
On the way to or from the lighthouse, you can tour the salt flats and learn about this interesting industry. Just before the dirt road as you go to the lighthouse there is an observation tower from which you can see for miles, or if you have binoculars or a spotting scope, do some bird watching. There are paths that lead down the cliff to Playa Sucia from the lighthouse, then walk along the beach around the bay to the other side and hike up the cliffs for another amazing view. There is also a natural stone bridge you can walk across, just be very careful.
Puerto Rico is an incredible place for a destination wedding, and there is no backdrop more beautiful than the view from the balcony of the Cabo Rojo Lighthouse. Contact them today to set up your special day.
Cabo Rojo Lighthouse is open Thursday-Tuesday, 9am-4pm (closed Wednesdays), but it is closer to 9:30 before you can actually get in and before the trolley starts running. Admission is free and the trolley is free too. For more information or if you have questions, call 787-255-1560, or check out their Facebook page.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.