Immerse yourself in a stunning underwater world by scuba diving at some of the most beautiful places in Puerto Rico. Not only are there must-visit locations on the main island of Puerto Rico, but smaller Puerto Rican islands like Culebra and Vieques are also home to notable diving spots. Check out the need-to-know information about where to go for an aquatic adventure.
Puerto Rico has several bio bays and one of those glow-in-the-dark bodies of water is at La Parguera. Conveniently for visitors, diving is available at La Parguera as well, and visibility can be more than 30m. Numerous diving sites are found there (more than 50 in the area). The coral is a notable attraction, and there’s a sea wall whose length goes to the southern city of Ponce.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There are about 24 diving sites around Humacao, including diving in Basslet Reef, where dolphins can be seen in the springtime, and the Reserve, where visibility is high (30m). In addition, there is the Red Hog that has a drop of about 24m to 350m – an attraction for divers with experience.
A natural reserve located in the Mona Passage between Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic, Mona Island isn’t easy to reach, but worth the trip if travelers can make it. The visibility underwater can reach approximately 61m, and divers can see large and small marine animals, depending on the time of year. When reef diving, check out those on the southern and western shores. If possible, consider stopping by the “Galapagos of the Caribbean.”
The Puerto Rican island of Vieques has accommodations for honeymooners, fantastic restaurants, a well-known art gallery, and beautiful beaches, in addition to places for scuba diving. With great diving conditions throughout the year and good visibility in different underwater locations, diving here is a must. Some of the best places to dive around the island are: Blue Tang Reef, Isla Chiva, and Lobster Reef. To pick up or repair scuba gear, or to take classes in Vieques, check out Isla Nena Scuba and Black Beard Sports.
San Juan area
Underwater visibility is about 3-6m for divers in Condado, an area of the capital city, San Juan. Marine life visible includes butterfly fish, sea horses, octopi, and coral shrimp. Scuba Dogs at El Escambron Beach, AkuaZone Dive Center, and Ocean Sports in Carolina are companies that serve divers in the San Juan area.
North of Vieques and east of Puerto Rico’s main island is Culebra. Among the many diving sites around the island there are: Cayo Lobo, Cayo Ballena, Larga Beach, and Tamarindo Beach, which are listed by Culebra Snorkeling and Dive Center, where travelers can go to get diving gear. For lessons, gear, and dive trips, Culebra Divers might be the company that offers the diving experience that visitors are seeking. When looking to add an adrenaline kick to your scuba diving, you might want to consider diving with nurse sharks at Cayo Lobito.
There is a lot to see and do in Fajardo, and diving should be on your to-do list. Take a look at reefs, mini-walls, and caverns, among other natural wonders by diving in this town – visibility can be more than 15m. Palomino Island, which is off of the Fajardo coast, also boasts good diving waters, home to different types of fish. Sea Ventures Dive Center and Pure Adventure both offer services in the Fajardo area.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.