Thailand’s charming northern city of Chiang Mai is the perfect holiday destination for the whole family. There are plenty of things to see and do, as well as family-friendly activities the kids will love! Check out our list of exciting activities to get inspired.
The Chiang Mai Zoo is a fantastic day out for kids young and old. The zoo houses over 400 animal species, including koalas, penguins, seals, hippos, flamingos, giraffes, zebras, elephants, pandas, camels, lions, tigers and much more. Other special exhibits at the zoo include a walk-through aviary, a freshwater aquarium and a snow dome. The zoo serves both Thai and international dishes, with various kid-friendly options.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Escape Chiang Mai’s heat by visiting Hang Dong Quarry, also called the Chiang Mai Grand Canyon. The canyon is about 45 minutes from Chiang Mai City. Visitors can swim in the turquoise water, relax on a bamboo raft or watch daredevils jump from the canyon ridges. On-site is The Tuang Thong Canyon View Restaurant, offering noodles, caffeine, smoothies, ice cream and adult beverages. Guests can also try the restaurant’s barbecued chicken or pick up a delicious coconut from a local stall.
Grand Canyon Chiang Mai, Hangdong, Chiang Mai, Thailand, +66 63 672 4007
The Sunday Market
If you find yourself in town on a Sunday, check out the Chiang Mai Sunday Market. The market is a fun and free activity to occupy a few hours. Check out the stalls selling hill tribe handicrafts, souvenirs and artwork, while sampling delicious local foods. It is advised to come early to avoid the crowds.
Sunday Market, Rachadamnoen Road, Si Phum, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Only a 20-minute drive by songteaw (a communal red taxi) from downtown Chiang Mai is Huay Tung Tao Lake. Hang out like a local, and relax in one of the bamboo huts overlooking the lake, with the majestic Doi Pui Mountains in the background. Children can swim in the lake for hours, spend time in a paddle boat or try delicious local snacks. And for mum and dad, it’s the perfect chance to relax in the shade of a private bamboo hut, read a book and enjoy cooling refreshments.
Elephant Nature Park
Elephant Nature Park is one of the most respected elephant conservation projects in the country. Elephant Nature Park is located in the surrounding Chiang Mai countryside and is home to more than 35 free roaming elephants, many of which have been rescued from dire situations. A day out at Elephant Nature Park is informative, fun and suitable for all ages.
Flight of the Gibbon
Swing like a monkey across the trees on a Flight of the Gibbon ziplining adventure. You will see breathtaking jungle views and wildlife, while satisfying your adrenaline craving. Suitable for kids young and old, this tour is a great family outing. For those that would prefer to stay within Chiang Mai City, the company also offers Segway tours around the Old City.
Wat Phra Doi Suthep
Rally the troops, and climb the 300 steps up the Naga Serpent staircase to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, one of the most sacred temples in Thailand. This fairy tale-like temple sits on top of a mountain and is often covered in mist and clouds. The golden chedi spires glisten in the sun and prayer bells ring. The site has plenty of interesting things to explore. At the back of the temple, there are stunning views over Chiang Mai city.
Wat Phra That Doi Suthep Road Tambon, Su Thep, Chiang Mai, Thailand, +66 53 295 002
If you are travelling with fearless, adrenaline-seeking children and teenagers, head to the Chiangmai X-Centre. This one-stop-shop of fun offers road trail biking, ATV tours, indoor drifter karts, zorb balls, bungee jumping and paintball. This activity is best avoided with little ones.
The Museum of World Insects and Natural Wonders
The Museum of World Insects and Natural Wonders is like no other activity. The dusty museum is the life work of a local husband and wife duo. On display are thousands of pinned creepy crawlies, including mosquitoes, moths, butterflies, stick insects, beetles and scorpions. There is also a small butterfly enclosure where, if you are lucky, you can watch cocoons hatch!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.