Done Chiang Mai and wondering where else to go? There’s plenty of lesser-known destinations to explore in northern Thailand. From hippie-happy Pai to Chiang Saen, the oldest city in the country, here’s where else to visit.
If you’re interested in scratching beneath the surface of Northern Thailand, let Culture Trip be your guide on our specially curated 10-day trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Mae Hong Son
Mae Hong Son is a charming town close to the Myanmar-Thailand border. It’s grown around a lake where you can watch locals practise tai chi. It’s fairly small; but, it still has a good collection of cafe and restaurants, plus an evening street market. There is plenty to explore here, from climbing the hill up to the golden Buddha to visiting local community projects.
If you’re in search of a tropical, hippie sanctuary, Pai should be top of your north Thailand itinerary. It’s a great place to relax and recharge with plenty of health-conscious eateries, yoga classes and massage parlours, plus a thriving nightlife with plenty of bars. The area around Pai is beautiful with waterfalls, a canyon and hill tribe villages.
Nan is a charming town that is also a great place to experience authentic Thai culture. Check out the Blessing Buddha at Wat Phra That Khao Noi for breathtaking views over Nan and beyond; marvel at the Thai Lu murals at Wat Phumin, the most important landmark in town; or visit the Nan National Museum. In the evening, take a relaxing stroll along the banks of the Nan River or enjoy tasting new flavours at the street market.
Head off the main tourist trail to visit the town of Phrae. Discover the mushroom rock formations at Phae Mueang Phi Forest Park, immerse in history at Khum Chao Luang museum or get some culture at Wat Luang. Try new dishes at the Saturday street market or see local artisans at work at Ban Thung Hong, which specializes in indigo-dyed fabrics.
Chiang Rai, not to be confused with Chiang Mai, is well worth a visit. Gain a deeper cultural insight into the area, relax in a refreshing pool at the foot of a cascading waterfall, discover diverse hill tribes and much more. Chiang Rai is renowned for attractions such as the quirky Wat Rong Khun (the White Temple) and the morbid yet fascinating Baan Dam Museum (the Black House).
Chiang Saen (once known as Wiang Hiran Nakhon) is the oldest city in Thailand. It was once the capital of the Lanna kingdom, before Chiang Rai was established by King Mengrai in 1262. Chiang Saen, on the banks of the Mekong River, close to the Golden Triangle, offers plenty to explore. Check out the lake, the Chiang Saen National Museum, or some of the impressive temples such as Wat Pa Sak, Wat Phra Chao Lan Thong or Wat Phra That Pha Ngao.
Chiang Dao is the ideal place to come if you like the great outdoors. From hiking to caving and everything in between, it’s a nature lover’s dream. It’s also home to natural hot springs and the Japanese hippie Shambhala In Your Heart Festival.
Phayao is a peaceful and enchanting lakeside town in the Phayao province. Make a trip to the sunken temple of Wat Tilok Aram, try your hand at fishing or take a leisurely stroll along the lakeshore. Phayao is also a great place to try regional foods and mingle with the residents over a few drinks.
Sukhothai, which translates to the dawn of happiness, is a popular destination for those wanting to explore the ruins of an ancient Thai city. It was the capital during the 13th century; head to the Unesco-badged Sukhothai Historical Park to see ancient temples and monuments. Other places of interest include Ramkhamhaeng National Museum, Ramkhamhaeng National Park, Sri Satchanalai National Park, and the Royal Palace and Wat Mahathat.
Phitsanulok was briefly the capital in the 14th century, after the decline of Sukhothai and before the rise of Ayutthaya. Here you’ll find Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat and the sacred Phra Buddha Chinnarat image. The traditional architecture of the local houses is intriguing and the wild west feel of the town is alluring.
Mae Sai is a bustling, edgy border town frequented by expats on a visa run and ambitious travellers looking to go hiking to see Myanmar’s diverse hill tribes in the Eastern Shan state. Mae Sai is right on the border with Myanmar and is a thriving town for exports and imports of all kinds. Wander around the local market to sample regional cuisine or pick up knick-knacks at rock bottom prices. If you want to have a peek at what’s across the border, grab a day pass to explore the town of Tachileik on the Myanmar side.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.