Thailand’s charming northern city of Chiang Mai is a fascinating and vibrant place to explore. We’ve compiled a list of our favourite tours this city has to offer with plenty of active, cultural and delicious options to choose from!
Temple and City Tour
Explore the ancient and iconic sites of charming Chiang Mai on a temple and city tour. You’ll explore culture and history at Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, Wat Chet Yod and Wat Suan Dok. You’ll also discover bustling Tapae Road and the ruins of the old city wall. Experience sights, smells and tastes as you explore local markets and sample different foods.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Swing like a Monkey
Swing like a monkey across tree canopies on a Flight of the Gibbon ziplining adventure. Not only will you see breathtaking jungle views and exotic wildlife, but you’ll also cure your adrenaline craving. Suitable for kids young and old, this tour is a great day out for the whole family. For those that would prefer to stay within Chiang Mai City, the company also offers Segway tours around the Old City.
Walk with Giants
Spending the day at Elephant Nature Park is an eye-opening experience. Not a single aspect of the visitor’s day is neglected, from the informative ride to the sanctuary all the way to the tasty lunch buffet. Elephant Nature Park is an ethical way to get to know and interact with elephants. Located outside of Chiang Mai City, the sanctuary was founded in the 1990s and has rescued dozens of elephants.
Thai Khantoke Dinner and Cultural Performance
Although a rather touristy tour to partake in, the Thai Khantoke dinner and cultural performance makes for a great night out! Be enchanted as you spend the evening indulging in delicious Thai cuisine and are captivated by the traditional folk-dancing show. Local delicacies are served Khantoke-style on low tables, a communal family style of eating which is common in Lanna culture. You’ll gain insight into Lanna and hill tribe cultures and partake in the celebratory atmosphere.
Cook like a Local
Thai Farm Cooking School is one of Chiang Mai’s most renowned cooking schools and is led by passionate chef and farmer, Sawat. Visitors begin their class by taking a trip to the morning market, followed by a tour of the farm. Most of the herbs are picked directly from the farm. Participants then choose six dishes to make; vegetarian and vegan options are also available. Thai Farm Cooking School provides a fantastic introduction to Thai cooking. You’ll not only leave full, you’ll also leave with leftovers and a recipe book.
If you’ve ever dreamt of driving a tuk-tuk, now’s your chance! You’ll explore fascinating rural villages and beautiful landscapes as you navigate your way around the Chiang Mai countryside in your very own tuk-tuk. On this action-packed tour, you’ll first learn how to drive a tuk-tuk, before you head out and off the beaten track. You’ll then float downstream on a bamboo raft before returning to Chiang Mai.
Hop in the Saddle
Explore the sights of Chiang Mai and the surrounding countryside on an exciting cycling tour. You’ll stop at iconic temples, pass through local villages and visit lush landscapes. This tour requires a fair level of fitness and is a fun way to discover Chiang Mai. Enjoy mingling with locals and sampling local specialities on this Spice Roads Tour.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.