Whether you are on the prowl for cheap used books, textbooks, the latest fiction or quirky and rare nonfiction, Mumbai’s bookstores have got you covered. Here are the top ten bookshops that bibliophiles in the city should know.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Kitab Khana, Fort
If you are looking to spend hours browsing through shelves at a large bookstore with cozy décor and a fabulous in-store café, then Kitab Khana in Fort is where you should go. Located inside a 150-year-old building with distinct old-world charm, the store has an impressive collection of books spanning across foreign and regional languages and ranging from the latest fiction bestsellers to rare nonfiction. They also have an impressive children’s book collection.
Sterling Book House
Sterling in Fort is over 70 years old but remains one of the city’s best places to find study guides, textbooks, and nonfiction reading material. Covering subjects from South Asian defense studies to religion and philosophy and offering books at incomparably low rates, Sterling is irreplaceable on the city’s bookstore scene.
Bargain Book Hut, Kala Ghoda
True to its name, Bargain Book Hut has a good collection of books at unbeatable low prices, with options for further discounts if you have one of their membership plans. A unit of Wilco Publishing House, a heritage publishing organization which was founded in the city more than half a century ago, Bargain Book Hut also has an outlet at Mumbai’s domestic airport.
The New & Second Hand Book Shop, Kalbadevi
When founded in 1905, The New & Second Hand Book Shop only sold raddi paper (waste paper) but soon branched out to selling books, which it continues to do today. With a vast collection including unique, old poetry books and obscure textbooks from the past century as well as cheap, secondhand and new copies of bestsellers, the 110-plus-year-old store manages to stay relevant amidst an ever-increasing number of chain stores in the city.
Title Waves, Bandra
Spread over 8000 square feet, Title Waves is the city’s first and largest boutique bookstore. Equipped with touch screen kiosks helping you locate your book, a listening lounge as well as high definition LED panels to screen Blu-ray movie trailers, DVDs, and CDs, the store offers one of the most comfortable book-browsing experiences in the city.
Trilogy, Lower Parel
This stylish bookstore at the Raghuvanshi Mills complex in Lower Parel has a heavily curated collection of books with a focus on lesser-known domestic writers as well as nonfiction. Trilogy also features a well-stocked library featuring a range of fiction and nonfiction, including coffee table books, children’s books, illustrations, etc.
Book Lovers, Andheri
Book Lovers is a no-frills bookstore with a vast collection of magazines, fiction, and nonfiction for you to flip through endlessly. With budget-friendly prices, well-informed and friendly staff, and a good chance for you to find rare and quirky reads that might just make your day, Book Lovers is easily one of the city’s best bookstores.
Crossword, Kemps Corner
With more than 15 outlets spread throughout the city, Crossword is no doubt one of the city’s most popular. With the latest releases in fiction and nonfiction as well as literature from around the country, Crossword is there to serve your needs whether you know exactly what book you want or if you want to spend hours just browsing through shelves.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.