India is famous for its incredible culture, tasty cuisine, scenic beauty and heritage sites. We show you the most beautiful cities countrywide with stunning urban landscapes, and a thriving cultural scene which you should visit.
Thinking of a trip to India? Our 10-day epic adventure around Rajasthan ticks off some of the top sights in the country, including the Taj Mahal. For a more relaxed getaway, check out our nine-day Kerala trip – which includes a laid-back visit to the backwaters of Kumarakom.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Jaipur is commonly known as the ‘Pink City’ due to its stunning buildings which were painted pink in 1876 to welcome the Prince of Wales and Queen Victoria. Jaipur is also the biggest city in the state of Rajasthan, and its capital. Together with Agra and Delhi, it is part of the famous Golden “Triangle” which attracts thousands of Indian and international tourists every year. The most-visited sites include the mesmerizing City Palace, a couple of impressive Rajput forts and the many temples.
Varanasi is one of the most beautiful, historical and spiritual cities in northern India. The first settlements date back to the 11th century BC, making it one of the oldest inhabited places in the world. A sacred place for both Hindus and Jains, it is also home to a varied range of vendors, sadhus, entrepreneurs, priests, pilgrims and families. The scenes of devotion in the river, set against the backdrop of stunning temples, are certainly some of the most impressive in the world.
Most famous for its stunning lakes, forts, temples and palaces, Udaipur is another city located in the state of Rajasthan, and is certainly not to be missed. Lovers will be delighted to hear that this is a city filled with romantic spots, as well as beautiful gardens. Over the years, it has been a favorite setting for many movies, including James Bond-title Octopussy (1983). The city is filled with colour, as locals opt to wear vibrant clothes, and fairs and festivals happen year-round.
In one of the latest surveys, Bangalore was established as India’s most livable city. In the past, it used to be referred to as the “Pensioner’s Paradise” and the “Garden City of India” because of its large, green spaces. While in recent years, development has meant that the city’s green areas have been affected and reduced, it still has enough to make it one of the most beautiful cities in India, and lush green forests can still be found in the outskirts. Bangalore is also the main center of the IT industry, commonly known as the “Silicon Valley of India”.
It is true that Delhi is the capital of India, home to the executive, judiciary and legislative branches of the Government. But Delhi is much more than that. It is a creative hub—a large metropolis with many arts and culture-related activities to offer. Travelers can head there for the best dining experiences and nightlife, but also for sightseeing as the city is home to some of the most stunning temples, mosques and forts. These include the Red Fort, Jama Masjid and the Baha’i Lotus Temple.
Chennai is a beautiful city serving as the gateway to the south of India and has a distinct culture based on Tamil traditions. At the same time, the city is a modern cosmopolitan city with a very diverse population. The architectural landscape, for example, comprises beautiful ancient temples just as much as modern high-rises. Besides the thriving local arts and culture scene which attracts visitors from across the globe, Chennai is also an important medical tourism destination.
Located in southern India, Mysore is by far one of the most well-planned cities in India, the second cleanliest countrywide and the cultural capital of Karnataka. What Mysore is most famous for is its yoga centers; in fact, it’s where Ashtanga yoga originated. To find the best yoga schools, the Gokulam suburb is your best bet. The area is home to some of the most renowned schools in the country, including the famous S.K. Pattabhi Jois’ Ashtanga Yoga Research Institute.
Agra is home to what is arguably the most beautiful and revered building in the country, the Taj Mahal. This stunning marble mausoleum is part of the Seven Wonders of the World. Agra also has two other UNESCO World Heritage sites, namely the Agra Fort and Fatehpur Sikri, which are also worth a visit.
A charming city for the unsuspecting traveler, Kolkata has long been known as the country’s cultural capital, and continues to be home to some of the best poets, film producers, writers and Nobel Prize winners. It is a city of contrasts, where you’ll encounter run-down but beautiful British Raj period houses, historical colleges and stunning gardens.
Located along the sea, Mumbai is the most cosmopolitan metropolis of India, and was once known as Bombay. It is also the biggest city in India, and, without doubt, the country’s financial center. With endless opportunities for exploration, the city’s most notable attraction is the Gateway of India, built in 1911 to commemorate a royal visit.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.