While much Indian cuisine is vegetarian, the extensive use of ghee, butter and milk keeps most of its delicious creations outside vegan limits. Here we have compiled a list of some of the most scrumptious vegan dishes you can find throughout India.
Among the country’s most popular foods, this South Indian pancake is both vegan and unbeatably delicious. Dosas are made from a fermented batter – usually of rice and a type of lentil – and can be eaten paired with sambar, a popular south Indian vegan lentil curry. They also come with a variety of stuffings – most commonly a vegan mixture of potatoes, green peas, onions and green chilies – in which case it is referred to as masala dosa. Make sure to check that your dosa hasn’t been made with ghee (clarified butter), as it occasionally is.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
An all-time favorite among Indians from north to south, samosas come in an overwhelming range of varieties, including several vegan versions. Made with a crisp outer covering of wheat flour shaped like a pyramid and stuffed with fillings of masala-rich vegetables, samosas are delicious, hearty and available throughout the country.
This South Indian rice cake is made from fermented rice and lentils, much like dosas. The batter is steamed until it hardens, and usually served with sambar or chutneys. Delicious, nutritious and vegan, this is among your best breakfast options in India.
Among India’s favorite curries, channa masala is made by cooking chickpeas in a flavorful mix of vegetables and spices. Except for some regional varieties where butter or milk may be added, the dish is typically vegan and incomparably satisfying. The dish can be paired with a variety of rotis or flatbreads, out of which chapattis are your safest option.
This deep fried snack is among the most popular at home and from street stalls across the country. Made from immersing vegetables in a mixture of chickpea flour and water and then deep frying them in oil, pakoras are nothing short of addictive. You can commonly find pakoras of onion, eggplant, potatoes, green chilies and cauliflowers. Since paneer and non-vegetarian pakoras are also quite popular in some regions, make sure to check that your pakora is vegan.
Yet another highly popular and typically vegan curried dish, aloo gobi translates to potato and cauliflower, which is what it is made of. Cooked with ginger, garlic, tomatoes, green peas and a range of spices, aloo gobi is both delicious and nutritiously dense. It is usually served with rotis or rice.
Yet another popular South Indian breakfast food, upma is almost always vegan except for when it is garnished with ghee or butter. The dish is usually prepared as a thick porridge of dry roasted wheat or rice flour mixed with spices and vegetables such as onions, carrots, green chilies and peas. Upma is dense in texture and highly nutritious, making it a hearty snack or breakfast option.
Among the overwhelming variety of dal preparations you will find in India, dal tadka is both popular and usually vegan. The dish is made by frying and currying dal along with a wide range of spices and vegetables – most typically tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric and garam masla, among others. Paired with rice or roti, it is both delicious and healthy.
This deep-fried snack is also a popular breakfast option throughout South India. It is made from a batter of lentils and rice, and shaped like a doughnut, with crisp exteriors and deliciously soft interiors. Vada batters are occasionally seasoned with ingredients such as ginger, green chilies, cumin or black pepper – but are almost always made vegan in South India.
Among India’s favorite street snacks, this delicious mixture of vegetables, spices and other ingredients is almost always vegan, unless when it is topped with yogurt (rare). Bhel is made by mixing puffed rice with fresh cut tomatoes, onions, green chilies, potatoes, and several sauces and spices that range from sweet to spicy.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.