This 76-year-old restaurant in Matunga has a loyal fan-base spanning across the city. Almost a city landmark, it started off with a menu of idli, vada, sada dosa, masala dosa, rava dosa, upma and other basic staples. Still the quintessential South Indian food place, the joint’s menu has expanded considerably to bring the best of the southern half of the subcontinent – from raagi dosa to appams. The filter kaapi (coffee) here is nothing short of perfect.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hotel Ram Ashray
This 80-year-old restaurant is packed with eager patrons, no matter what time of day. And with almost legendary fast service, well-priced and delicious food, and possibly the most aromatic filter coffee, there’s no doubt as to why. They don’t have a printed menu, preferring to use a chalkboard that changes almost daily. But the staples, idli, dosa and uttappa, are always available. The idlis are melt-in-your-mouth fluffy, the dosas crisp and buttery, and the chutneys are loaded with the purest coconut taste.
If you are missing God’s Own Country and its coconut-heavy delicacies, then Hotel Deluxe in Fort will be nothing short of paradise for you. From mutton and chicken stews and vegetarian curries rich in coconut milk, to spectacular fried fish, squid and shrimp fry, or the classic sadhya served on a banana leaf – there’s almost nothing Deluxe does wrong. The Kerala style mutton fry paired with malabar paranthas is a life-changing culinary experience.
Serving some of the best Tamil vegetarian cuisine in the city, Dakshinayan is much pricier than similar joints in the rest of Mumbai. However, the food is amazing and the menu is extensive. They have a decent range of dosa offerings as well as rice and curry combinations, best paired with strong filter coffee or tea. They have multiple outlets in the city including in Juhu and Tardeo.
For wholesome, healthy, vegetarian Andhra food, there’s no better place in the city than this modest restaurant in Andheri. Made with freshly ground spices and vegetables, the food has all the welcome qualities of a scrumptious, home-cooked meal. The andhra meal and regular thali, comprising a range of vegetarian and lentil dishes paired with rice, are perfect for a weekend lunch, while the various classic South Indian classic dishes from pongal to cheese dosas are perfect for a workday lunch.
Pratap Lunch Home
With fun cartoon murals adorning the walls, this small Mangalorean seafood restaurant in Fort has been one of Mumbai’s best places to celebrate South Indian seafood since 1961. The king pomfret tawa fry, the prawn koliwada and the crab entrees are all popular among regular customers. The menu expands beyond Mangalorean dishes to include Indo-Chinese and North Indian dishes as well.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.