Rajasthan, also known as the ‘Land of Maharajas’, is seemingly one of the most Instagrammable places in India. Rows of majestic forts and palaces, centuries-old architecture, colourful façades, scenic lakes, rugged landscapes, lively festivals and culture, lip-smacking traditional cuisine, golden sunsets and sand dunes – this largest state of India is brimming with a vibrancy that will leave you clicking that shutter non-stop. Here are 24 Instagram photos that will make you fall in love with Rajasthan and inspire your wanderlust.
The epitome of royal splendour, the Devi Kund Sagar in Bikaner boasts cenotaphs that are a blend of Islamic and Rajputana architectural styles. While it is gorgeous round the clock, it becomes all the more appealing after the sun goes down!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Also known as City Palace, Kotah Garh is a beautiful blend of Rajasthani and Mughal architecture and art – a sight to remember!
Standing at an altitude of 400 feet (122 metres), the Mehrangarh Fort is an architectural masterpiece, boasting royal touches, intricate detailing and a sprawling courtyard.
Another postcard-perfect view of Mehrangarh Fort!
Lake Pichola in Udaipur is an artificial freshwater lake with bathing ghats, temples, hills and palaces surrounding it – a spot to visit at dusk and after!
Overlooking Lake Pichola, the City Palace is nothing less than captivating. It’s the conglomeration of several palaces, and a blend of Medieval, European and Chinese architecture with cenotaphs, arches, turrets and domes.
The Jal Mahal, which translates to ‘Water Palace’, sits in the middle of Man Sagar Lake and is a lovely synthesis of Rajput and Mughal architecture. The beautiful backdrop provided by the Nahargarh hills adds to the charm.
Architecture aficionados will instantly fall in love with the Taragarh Fort in Bundi, owing to its stepwell reservoirs, ornate palaces and forts, and tunnels that pass through the Nagpahari Hill on which it stands.
Also known as the ‘Hall of Private Audience’, the majestic Diwan-E-Khas of City Palace, Jaipur is enveloped in gold and red hues and features exquisite Persian, Rajasthani and Mughal paintings, along with ancient texts.
Set on the Aravali Range, the Amer Fort in Jaipur is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, boasting a fusion of marvellous Indo-Islamic architecture – it’s a feast for the eyes!
Ganesh Pol is the entryway to the royal quarters of Amer Fort. The intricate sandstone and marble work steals the show!
Also known as the ‘Palace of Winds’, the Hawa Mahal in Jaipur is an architectural marvel with pink-painted honeycombed-styled windows that will leave you spellbound.
At about 590 feet (179.8 metres) high, the beautifully ornate Chittorgarh Fort is wrapped in tales of bravery and sacrifice. The striking features are its Rajput architecture and the 22 water bodies within the fort.
The grand Junagarh Fort in Bikaner is a blend of Rajput, Mughal and Gujarati architectural styles, complete with frescos and lacquer and mirror work.
With gold and red filigree design, lattice windows, wooden ceilings inlaid with mirrors and walls adorned with gold leaf paintings, the Anup Mahal in Junagarh Fort is a remarkable testament to historical and architectural beauty.
Commissioned by the Bikaner’s richest merchants, the majestic Rampuria Haveli is the mystical blend of beauty, splendour, joy and antiquity – no wonder it’s called the ‘Pride of Bikaner’.
Below is a picture of the yellowish-golden streets of Jaisalmer, also known as the ‘Golden City of India’, owing to its yellow sandstone architecture and yellow sand.
Here is the Instagram-worthy Umaid Bhawan Palace – a glaring structure. Walking into it will make you feel like a royal!
Sunset at Pushkar lake – its calm and peaceful setting will allow you to lose yourself for the rest of the night!
The atmospheric and lively festival of Teej not only marks the start of monsoon but is also observed by Hindu women for marital bliss. There are colourful parades on the streets, Rajasthani cultural performances and a lot of traditional feasts.
Catch a glimpse of Rajasthani culture through the ‘Puppet Show’.
The must-have experience in Rajasthan is a camel ride.
The spectacular golden Sam Sand Dunes in Jaisalmer – a sight to behold!
And don’t miss a romantic boat ride in the City of Lakes, Udaipur.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.