Delhi is where the India of the imagination becomes vivid reality. Here are ten reasons to visit India’s iconic capital.
Continuously inhabited for nearly 5000 years, Delhi is India’s most historic city, and its most captivating melting pot of cultures, customs and faiths. Much of the city’s ramped up reputation comes down to traveller inexperience – thanks to Delhi’s busy international airport, this is the first city many India visitors see, so general culture shock gets rolled into the Delhi experience.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
For anyone thinking of taking the plunge into the Indian capital, here are ten great reasons to dive into Delhi.
See Delhi’s history spill into the street
Delhi wears its history on its sleeve, and regal relics stud the city streets like diamonds in a gold tiara. The Indian capital is not one city but eight cities, each stacked over the ruins of earlier empires like Russian nesting dolls. History in Delhi is not something found in museums – it spills into the street, poking up between Delhi’s modern buildings on every street corner. Most city blocks, particularly in the old city of Shahjahanabad, are ornamented with medieval masonry, towering tombs, and ancient mosques, mausoleums and memorials.
Immerse yourself in the city’s captivating culture
The capital is India’s finest repository of art and culture, and Delhi’s museums are chock full of treasures that shine a light on the subcontinent’s rich history and artistic heritage. Visit the National Museum to see thousands of years worth of sculpture, painting, metalwork, weaponry and jewels, or the National Art Gallery of Modern Art to observe the fascinating transition from art depicting India as it was seen by outsiders to the country’s own artistic vision of itself. Then there’s the charming Crafts Museum, paying homage to India’s lavish tradition of carving, sculpture, weaving and folk art.
Eat a meal to remember
Delhi is India’s capital of cuisine as well as culture, and the city’s food stalls, street canteens and restaurants serve some of the most exciting food on the planet, from pocket-friendly street food snacks, to extravagant fusion food blending the best of east and west. You don’t go to Delhi for pasta; come instead for street food grazing on stuffed parathas (fried bread), puris (deep fried puffed breads with curry sauces) and pakora (gram-flour fritters), full-flavoured curries at famous-name restaurants, and spiced-infused flavour sensations at creative kitchens such as Indian Accent in the southern suburbs.
Explore the living past
Delhi has played a part in pretty much every event to shake the subcontinent, and its streets are dotted with the landmark locations for pivotal moments in history: the funeral sites of a dozen national leaders; the room where Mahatma Gandhi stayed on the day he was assassinated; the homes of national leaders Jawaharlal Nehru and Indira Gandhi; the palace of the last Mughal Emperor, Bahadur Shah Zafar. Exploring Delhi is a study guide for the forces that shaped modern India, and the perfect primer for understanding the rest of the country.
Have a brush with enlightenment
You might not immediately notice over the traffic noise, but Delhi moves to powerful spiritual rhythms. It is faith, rather than commerce or politics, that makes the city tick, and its temples, mosques and shrines hum with the powerful energy of shared belief. Even the simple act of feeding pigeons is an act of devotion, and Delhi’s wandering cows and monkeys receive special treatment as representatives of Hindu deities on earth. Join the faithful in the vast courtyard of the Jama Masjid mosque, or the crowds of pilgrims flocking to the ornate Akshardham Temple in Pandav Nagar, and you’ll open a window onto the incredible richness of India’s deeply held beliefs.
Take in iconic experiences you won’t forget
You’ll never forget the first glimpse of the Red Fort through the tangled alleys of Shahjahanabad. You’ll never forget climbing the minaret of the Jama Masjid and looking out over the rooftops of Old Delhi, beneath a sea of fluttering kites. Delhi is where the India of the imagination becomes vivid reality, and its irrepressible intensity sears its way into the memory, in a way that no other Indian city can. Rather than trying to cling onto what is familiar, Delhi is a place to surrender to India and let the subcontinent weave its wonderful magic.
See amazing architecture
It’s remarkable how just the curve of an arch or the jut of a balcony can conjure up a sense of the subcontinent, and Delhi’s architecture defines the nation. Buildings such as the tomb of Humayun and the Red Fort represent the zenith of Mughal construction, and the graceful Indo-Saracenic buildings installed by the British, riffing on the same themes, add a European sense of theatre. Wander from the medieval bazaars flanking Chandni Chowk to the Red Fort, and you’ll be transported to the world of Arabian Nights; take high tea in the courtyard at Lutyens’ Imperial Hotel, or wander the concentric circles of Connaught Place, and you’ll be whisked back to the world of E.M.Forster and the Raj.
Meander through brilliant bazaars
Sure, Delhi has gleaming modern malls in the suburbs, but it’s the markets that make shopping here a life-changing experience. Whole streets in the old city are devoted to the sale of paper kites, polished steel tiffin pots and wedding turbans, and almost anything can be found somewhere along the tangled lanes. Khan Market moves the action upmarket, with sleek homeware stores catering to the growing middle classes, while Hauz Khas and Shahpur Jat put a hipster spin on traditional Indian design. Then there’s wonderful Baba Kharak Singh Marg, lined with government emporiums selling the best produce from each Indian state, and one-stop-shop Dilli Haat, with craftworks – and food stalls – from across the subcontinent. Hone your haggling skills and dive in…
Sleep in style
There’s more to sleeping in Delhi than the grungy backpacker hotels in Paharganj. The city offers everything from grand dame hotels such as the elegant, Art Deco Imperial on Janpath, to historic heritage stays at Haveli Dharampura, and five-star palaces like the Leela Palace and Taj Palace. At the other end of the spectrum are homestays in comfortable apartments in the genteel suburbs, and Delhi’s new generation of hostels, taking the dorm bed upmarket. Wherever you stay, a bit of India – a hint of spices, a distant jangle of Bollywood music, the call to prayer from a nearby minaret – will follow you back to your room.
Easily escape from your central location
It might sound strange to recommend Delhi as somewhere that’s easy to leave, but the central train and bus stations mean easy access to the rest of the central plains and beyond. In just two hours you can be in Agra, gazing at the Taj Mahal. Five hours could take you to the palace of a Maharaja in Jaipur. In seven hours, you could be wandering with pilgrims at the Golden Temple in Amritsar. In ten, you could be looking over the Himalaya from the Ridge in Shimla…
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.