Freeing your mind and surrendering your body to the fresh outdoors on an undisturbed run is not difficult to do in Port Elizabeth, as the city is lapped by the ocean and bordered by some spectacular nature reserves. Whether lacing up your sneakers to hit sand, tarmac, gravel road or dirt path; the choices are limitless for amateur and professional runners alike. Here are some suggestions of where to get your running fix in the Bay.
This gorgeous circular trail is located within the Cape Recife Nature Reserve and takes you across pristine beaches scattered with rock pools and past the historic Cape Recife Lighthouse. The route is well marked, making it easy to navigate, and is also a popular bird watching location so expect to see lots of wonderful feathered creatures along the way. Take in the awesome views of the bay as you pound the sand and keep an eye out for the rare Roseate tern that nest along this stretch of beach.
Cape Recife Nature Reserve, Schoenmakerskop, Port Elizabeth, +27 41 583 4004
This eco-retreat is located less than half an hour from central Port Elizabeth and is set on 3,100 hectares of urban nature reserve. The fenced wilderness offers trail runners an opportunity to get up close to nature as they make their way through indigenous flora, wild game, bushland and scenic valleys. There are a number of different trails to choose from that offer endurance challenges of varying degrees. After a hard run you can grab a well-earned break and bite to eat at the on-site restaurant.
Hopewell Conservation Estate, Stanford Road, Port Elizabeth, +27 71 106 0306
Mile upon mile of spectacular, uncluttered shoreline must surely be near the top of any avid nature runner’s wish list. Sardinia Bay dishes up just that, accompanied by fresh sea air and garnished with a dash of pure beauty. Here runners can lose themselves in the rhythm of their stride as they whip past the sand dunes and dodge the crystal clear water that gets pushed up onto the beach by the tide. Horse riders and those walking their dogs may occasionally pass you by, but otherwise its just you and the sound of the ocean.
Lying slightly outside of Port Elizabeth and at the base of the beautiful Lady Slipper Mountain is Slipperfields, offering scenic trail running and mountain biking routes. The rugged and picturesque setting is a great place for a mild to intermediate run that can be enjoyed by young and old alike. Those looking to challenge themselves a bit can tackle one of the more demanding routes such as the downhill Viper Trial. Although non-technical, the route features a number of berms and drop-offs and is sometimes referred to as the ‘Vomit trail’. You have been warned!
Slipperfields, R102, Uitenhage Farms, Port Elizabeth, +27 71 856 5787
The De Stades Trail is considered one of the most beautiful in the Port Elizabeth region and is located within the Maitland Nature Reserve. Here indigenous coastal forests vie for space with sand dunes and the area is alive with birdlife. Follow the trail under a canopy of trees as it heads up an old wagon path and listen out for the call of the Knysna loerie as you make a fairly steep incline to the top of the route for stunning views over the Maitland River Mouth. The return trip is almost all downhill and slightly rugged, so keep a lookout for obstacles.
Maitland Nature Reserve, Beachview Road, Port Elizabeth, +27 41 956 0155
Just outside of Port Elizabeth’s city limits lies the pretty little villages of Amsterdamhoek and Bluewater Bay, the former nestled peacefully along the Swartkops River and the latter on the Indian Ocean shoreline. Here runners can forget their troubles and strife on the picturesque Aloe Trail beginning at the gate at the top of Tippers Creek Road. The trail is a circular route that begins on the escarpment overlooking Amsterdamhoek before taking a return path via valley bushland and finally back to the plateau where you began.
The Van Staden’s Wildflower Reserve offers various trails for running enthusiasts and nature lovers alike that wind and curve through a literal wonderland of indigenous flora. The landscape is stunning, with the fresh country air stimulating the senses and beautiful views offering a feast for the eyes. Succulents, flowers, river banks and verdant wooded slopes all around bring nature into your running space for a serene and zen-like experience.
The Port Elizabeth beachfront
No list of the Bay’s most peaceful running trails would be complete without the inclusion of the iconic Port Elizabeth coastline. From King’s Beach through to Hobie Beach, Pollock Beach and beyond, runners can hit the sand or the sidewalk as they stretch their legs. Jogging along the promenade early in the morning should tick all the boxes as the salty sea air mingles with the sounds of the city and seagulls screech in the sky above. Once the hard work is over treat yourself to a yummy breakfast at one of the many beachfront cafes and restaurants.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.