Whether modern or traditional – or somewhere in between – there is a huge variety in how we stay fit, active and healthy. We look at some of the differing ways across the globe.
While parkour has spread across the globe, France remains its heartland. Parkour was first conceived as a development of military obstacle courses by a group of men from Lisses, France, known as ‘The Yamakasi’. The training discipline requires tremendous strength, agility and bravery while navigating across various features.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Doonya, USA via India…
A post shared by Doonya (@doonyaworld) on Aug 2, 2017 at 6:24am PDT
A combination of dance and fitness that combines east with west – think fitness class set to Bollywood music. Its founders grew up in the USA with Indian parents and created an exercise regime that includes four types of dance: bhangra, Bollypop, village celebration and classical dances such as Kathak.
Creating a human tower ten storeys in height requires a huge amount of balance, skill and strength. Castell-building is part of traditional Catalan festivals and the motto of castellers is “força, equilibri, valor i seny” (strength, balance, courage and common sense).
Arnis, The Philippines…
A post shared by Daniel Bernas (@daniel_bernas) on Sep 10, 2017 at 5:01pm PDT
Arnis is a weapon-based martial art and the national sport of the Philippines. Involving sticks or knives, as well as hand-to-hand combat, the sport requires a huge amount of training and technical skill.
Tai Chi, China…
Steeped in history, tai chi is a practice that originated approximately 2,000 years ago in ancient China. The combination of deep breathing and gentle movement is widely believed to keep people fitter for longer.
Paleta Frontón, Peru…
A post shared by Bruno Semino (@bsemino) on Oct 24, 2015 at 8:52pm PDT
Paleta Frontón is Peru’s national sport. As a combination of squash and table tennis, it requires players to utilise their pace and stamina.
Primarily developed during the 1920’s and ’30s, aikido requires physical conditioning and fitness training, as well as learning specific techniques for striking, throwing and grappling.
Outdoor natural pools, Australia…
While swimming is a global practice, Australia offers its residents ample opportunity to swim in constructed swimming pools on the beach that utilise the beautiful surrounding sea water, meaning no chemicals whatsoever.
Dance, music and acrobatics all combined in one beautiful Afro-Brazilian martial art. Manoeuvres are fast, complex and hugely varied, with a greater emphasis placed on skill, rather than power or striking opponents.
Belly dancing, Various…
This expressive dance differs from country to country but is popular throughout the Middle East in particular. Dancers go from fast, sharp movements to slower, more fluid actions throughout routines. The undulations done in belly dancing are great for the spine and abdominal muscles.
Nordic walking, Finland…
Because Nordic – in comparison to regular – walking requires poles to be forcible moved, the entire body comes under greater intensity as a result. Compared to normal walking, this exercise is far more beneficial for cardio-respiratory fitness and muscular fitness.
Want more sporty inspiration? Here are 15 thrill-seeking trips perfect for adrenaline junkies!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.