Just like the people who make up the country, Peru’s music and what Peruvians like to listen to is very diverse. There’s the oddity of American ’80s rock, which you’ll hear on buses and acoustic versions in coffee shops, there’s Peru’s own chicha music and everything else in between. Check out what the locals are listening to and what to expect to hear when you come to Peru.
’80s American rock
Throughout Lima and the rest of the country, you’ll hear a large dose of everything ’80s rock from artists like Peter Frampton, AC/DC, Bon Jovi and especially Guns N’ Roses. It is no wonder why Maroon 5, while not classic ’80s rock, is playing a sold out show at Lima’s national soccer team’s stadium. Be prepared to be at a bar and hear some tunes that may take you back to the past.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Cumbia might be Peru’s favorite music, beloved everywhere throughout the country. The genre has inspired sub-genres such as chicha and electronic cumbia. It isn’t a surprise that the dance-oriented music, which originated on the Caribbean coasts of Colombia, is popular in Peru considering that it is hugely popular throughout the entire continent.
Chicha (psychedelic cumbia)
Chicha, a sub-genre of cumbia, is a mix between classic cumbia and psychedelic/surf rock. Chichatakes the feel of cumbia, the timing and “tropical” sound, adds elements of huayno(from the Peruvian Andes) and criollo (classic Peruvian folk music) with electronic guitars and an early surf rock sound. The sound is very unique and completely Peruvian.
If you want to dance, the music of choice will most likely be salsa. Just as in other Latin American countries, salsa is very popular and is practiced by everyone. Peruvians listen to all kinds of salsa from all over the world.
Out of Peru’s chicha music (psychedelic cumbia) and electric music was born Peru’s new sensation, dubbed electronic cumbia. Popularized in the dance scenes of Lima, the music has been recognized internationally by groups such as Dengue Dengue Dengue, Animal Chuki and Alqsbs.
While it is a very broad genre that can incorporate a lot of different sounds, it is probably best exemplified by Novalima. Novalima blends Afro-Peruvian music with Electronica and Latin American rhythms. The Latin Grammy nominated group formed in 2001 and have been touring since their inception.
Popular in other Latin American countries, Peruvians have also found an affection for the contagious beat of reggaeton. This music is very popular in dance clubs and discos, but can be heard all over the country no matter the time of day or place.
Like everywhere else in the world, Despacito is extremely popular in Peru. From little girls and boys, to an old man selling fruit, you’ll see everyone enjoying this tune. If you’re out at night, you’re sure to hear this song played at least once – most likely twice or three times. The song recently became the most viewed in YouTube history.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.