Peru has the best, most unique souvenirs in the world, but because there are so many different things to choose from and so many markets to visit, buying them can be a daunting task. We’ve simplified your shopping experience with this list of the most interesting Peruvian souvenirs you’ll only find in Peru.
No trip to Peru is complete without a textile to bring home. Peruvian textiles are beautiful works of art and living pieces of history. With so many textile communities to visit, you’re sure to find a truly unique piece.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Peru is the land of potatoes and corn. While corn is eaten everywhere, it is also used in many drinks like chicha morada and chicha de jora, the later being an alcoholic version originating from the Incas who frequently used it in ceremonies.
Bracelets, bracelets and more bracelets is what you’ll find wherever you go in Peru and they’re the perfect gift for friends and family.
Ponchos and alpaca clothing
Traditional Andean clothing like ponchos are fun items to bring back home with you. They look cool, are made by hand, and will always remind you of the people of the Andes and their great traditions.
The ear-flapped beanies are part of any traditional Andean outfit and help a lot when fighting those cold Andean nights.
Handmade artwork and postcards
Andean artwork is very unique and has a distinct history within Cusco and Peru, often depicting the confluence of Catholic and Andean traditions. It will be unlike anything you find at home.
Natural dyed string
If you truly get into Peruvian textile-making, you should come back with your own textile-making kit of colorful, natural string. And, if you want to learn how to make textiles on your own, there are plenty of classes and tours you can take to see how Peruvian women work. They might even give you some pointers.
Peruvian woven rugs
If you end up loving Peruvian textiles, take your obsession to the next level with a Peruvian rug. It may be a bit heavy to carry around, but once you see it on your living room floor the hassle will have been worth it.
Painted wooden bowls
You’ll find Incan museums all over Peru displaying their main artifact—clay bowls. Poetry and other clay designs are staples of Incan culture and were used as a way to tell the stories and histories of their people. Bring a piece of their history home with you in the form of a wooden bowl to remember your time in Peru.
The loveably, fluffy alpaca can be found all over the Andean region of Peru. While you won’t be able to bring one home with you, you can do the next best thing—buy an alpaca doll made with real alpaca fur to remind you of the furry creatures.
Peruvians are internationally known for their food, so why not bring home some of the ingredients that make their cuisine so delicious?
Complete your Andean wardrobe with a scarf made out of real alpaca fibers—better yet, take it a step further and buy one that uses baby alpaca fur.
Peru is home to some of the best chocaolate in the world. No matter what city you find yourself in, you’ll encounter some delicious Peruvian chocolate that you’ll like too much not to bring back home.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.