Skylodge Adventure Suites, near Cusco in Peru, is offering the experience of a lifetime to travelers searching for something extra special – but a good head for heights is essential.
Love reading Culture Trip? How about travelling with us! Our Culture Trips are small-group tours that truly immerse you in a destination through authentic travel experiences. You can also embrace slow travel and the joys of journeying by train on our eco-friendly Rail Trips.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Fancy staying in a transparent pod attached to a sheer rock face? Since it opened in 2013, this sky-high hotel – the first-ever hanging lodge in the world – has been popular with travelers looking for something a little different while en route to Machu Picchu.
Guests are invited to spend the night in one of their three hanging bedrooms and wake up to 300-degree views across a dramatic Peruvian landscape. The pods are fitted with everything you need for a comfortable stay, but as they are suspended 1,300 feet (396 meters) in the air, this is a mountainside retreat with a death-defying twist.
To reach your pod, you must first get harnessed up and complete a vertical climb using a set of iron rungs, via ferrata-style, or alternatively, undertake a demanding hike. Both ascents are tough, but once they have reached the top, guests are rewarded with mind-blowing views and a glass of wine.
Each private pod comes complete with a double bed, bathroom (including an ecological toilet and a washbasin with running water) and a lounge area for dining and relaxing.
It’s a special place to watch the sunset, as the views over Peru’s Sacred Valley are unbeatable. A delicious dinner is served by your guide in a luxury transparent capsule, and once night falls, guests head back to their pods to stargaze from the comfort of their own beds. In the morning, you can see the sunrise while swaddled in a cloud-like duvet and spot native Andean birds such as the condor soaring about. After breakfast, a zip wire brings guests safely back down to solid ground.
Who’s this for?
For some, a night spent suspended on a sheer cliff face is their idea of a nightmare. For others, it’s pure bliss. It’s certainly not an adventure for everyone, but for those who thrive on adrenaline and love to stay well off the beaten track, Skylodge Adventure Suites could be the wow factor experience you’ve been searching for.
A reasonable degree of fitness is required, and you must have steely nerves when it comes to heights.
What can you expect?
This experience is designed to take you out of your comfort zone without sacrificing on luxury. The pods are claimed to be indestructible, which is reassuring when you consider that they’re riveted to a cliff face. Each octagonal capsule is made from aerospace-grade materials, making them secure and weather-resistant.
This has to be the ultimate bucket-list must-do for thrill seekers. Many might be put off by the effort of getting there, but those who dare will be richly rewarded.
Where to Stay
Fancy staying somewhere a bit less cliff-edgy? You could book one of the most romantic hotels in Peru now.
Did you know you can now travel with Culture Trip? Book now and join one of our premium small-group tours to discover the world like never before.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.