The urban madness that is Barrio Chino is one of Lima’s most exhilarating and delicious neighborhoods to find yourself. It is the home of Chinese immigrants and the brith place of chifa food (Chinese-Peruvian food) while also being one of the main centers of commerce in the city, with more than a couple wild Latin American markets. Here is our guide to exploring the best of Barrio Chino in Lima.
Chifa is the name for Peruvian-Chinese food, a combination Chinese culinary elements mixed with Peruvian ingredients and traditions—and the result is delicious. So good, in fact, that you’ll find chifa restaurants everywhere you go in Peru. And you can’t go to a better place to eat your chifa than Barrio Chino, the birthplace of this mouth-watering cuisine.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Visit a market
One of the main draws for non-tourists to Barrio Chino is the shopping. Peruvians flock to the area to buy all their food and household items at discounted price. You’ll hear bullhorns sounding off in the background, as a lady next to you screams her new oferta (offer). Becuase you’ll find so many Peruvians in one place it has become a place for tourists to pop their head into to get a peak at the Peruvian market scene. It’ll also give you a good idea about where your food is all coming from.
Peruse the exotic spices
While there are giant markets with hundreds of people milling around, you’ll also find little specialty tea and spice stores. There you’ll find products straight from China and other Asian countries. It’s also the best place to go to buy all your favorite teas, which you won’t find at other grocery stores in Peru.
Take a walk
The main street is lined with Chinese-themed ornaments and decorations, including benches that have a very distinct Chinese feel. The restaurants line the main streets adding the finishing touches on a China Town that can compete with the best of them.
Everyone comes to Barrio Chino to do some of the day’s bargaining. People from all over the city come here to buy supplies for work and home, so it is without a doubt one of the largest centers of commerce in the entire city, a fact that makes it one of the best places to people-watch in the city. You’ll see all shapes and sizes of Peruvians here and get a better understanding of the country’s great diversity.
While of course the chifa is the big draw here, you also have to make a pitstop or two for the street food. You’ll find fresh ceviche, anticuchos and plenty of other Peruvian delicacies awaiting you on nearly every street corner—just make sure that you have some room for seconds and thirds.
Chaufa and Lomo Saltado
While chifa is already on the list, you also need to make sure that you try chaufa and lomo saltado, which are chifa staples and some of the most popular dishes in all of Peru. Lomo saltado is beef strips cooked in a wok along with vegetables and french fries, while cahufa is the Peruvian version of fried rice, which is served at almost every restaurant as a main dish. You can’t leave Peru without trying either of these dishes and there’s no better place to order these than in Barrio Chino.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.