Machu Picchu is among the most popular reasons why people travel to Peru. The country is not short on history and beautiful landscapes, but it’s now known for things other than the Incas. Peru has recently become the gastronomical capital of Latin America and has done so on the back of their favorite dish, ceviche. The dish is simple, yet complex, and nothing short of delicious. Ceviche, a common, everyday meal, has exploded in worldwide recognition and has marked Peru and Lima as essential for food lovers. Here is our guide to Peru’s most famous dish.
The true origins of ceviche are somewhat murky, but the current iteration of the food – marinated in limes – originated sometime after the arrival of the Spanish with said limes. Limes aren’t native to Peru so before the introduction of the citrus, Peruvian ancestors were most likely using some other marinate. There is some debate about where the dish actually began – either Peru or Ecuador – but what is for sure is that Peru is obsessed with the raw seafood dish, so much so that it inspired a national holiday.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
How it’s made
The most important ingredients of Peruvian Ceviche are the Peruvian lime – which Peruvians will tell you is the key to ceviche and the Pisco Sour because of their country’s lime’s unique ph level – the aji amarillo pepper, and rocoto pepper, which looks like a red bell pepper, but is very spicy. Rocoto is sometimes garnished on the dish as a decoration, so be careful – it may look like a slice of bell pepper or a tomato, but it isn’t. A Peruvian plate of ceviche will also include canchitas (corn nuts), yuca, sweet potato, onions, maybe some banana chips, and is often garnished with lettuce.
Ceviche is marinated in a lime-based mixture with onions, aji and rocoto peppers. The citric acid from the limes “cooks” the fish so that it can be eaten straight away. While the acid of the limes will allow you to eat it raw, the acid marinade will not kill bacteria or parasitic worms, unlike the heat of cooking.
Perhaps Lima’s biggest tourist attraction is its gastronomy. With so many ceviche options and world-class chefs preparing them, it is no wonder people brave the gloomy weather of Lima for a bite to eat. Grey skies can be tolerated with a full belly of delicious food. With the explosion of tourism in Peru, there has been an increased demand for its cuisine. Peruvian food is now exported all over the world – a city near you will most likely have a Peruvian restaurant serving up ceviche and other traditional dishes. With so much attention on its chefs and culinary traditions, Peru has become increasingly proud of a dish that has been largely taken for granted because it is consumed so routinely. With a holiday to its name and cevicherias all over the country – you’ll easily find them no matter where you are in Peru – the obsession is real. The whole world is now clamoring for Peruvian food and especially ceviche, something Peruvians have been quietly consuming since time immemorial.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.