Peru is a land of varied landscapes and climates, making it one of the best countries in the world for hiking. From the foothills of the Andes, you can make your way to mountain peaks or plunge into the jungle. The country offers adventurers the unique opportunity to see ancient Incan ruins along treks to remote lakes and mountain tops. Here is our guide to the most epic hikes you can find in Peru.
The classic Inca Trail takes about four to five days to complete as you wind your way towards the sacred city of Machu Picchu. You can find guides who speak English and who can give you extensive information about the Incas and the area. The hike itself takes you through many Inca ruins, offers views of mountain peaks, and ends at the sun gate at Machu Picchu. It is the most famous hike in Peru for a reason and the holy grail for all backpackers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Choquequirao is the sister city to Machu Picchu and will certainly satisfy all of your Incan hiking needs. The trail boasts plenty of fascinating Incan ruins, and the destination itself is only partially excavated. It’s a perfect option for those looking for a more secluded hiking experience. The trek will take around four to five days—but can take longer if you wish—and it is much more difficult than other treks around Cusco. There are constant ups and downs and changes in elevation that’ll leave you gassed, but the sights are more than worth the exertion.
The Salkantay trek is the most popular alternative to the Inca Trail and is what most people will sign up for when the famous trail is completely booked. But don’t fear, as the sights seen along this trek are just as spectacular as those seen along the Inca Trail. Named among the 25 best treks in the world by National Geographic Adventure Travel Magazine, you’ll find yourself staring down the same sacred mountains that the Incas did.
The Lares trek is another highlight of hiking the ancient trails around Cusco and the Sacred Valley. You’ll come across countless ruins along this four-day hike and will eventually reach an elevation of nearly 5,000 meters (16,404 feet). The highlights of the trek are reaching the Lares thermal baths and, of course, Machu Picchu.
Head to the town of Huaraz, which has become one of the new backpacking capitals of the world. Here you’ll find thrill seekers like yourself sipping on the local craft beer after multiple-day hikes. The area itself has a seemingly endless amount of treks, but this is probably the highlight. This nine-day hike will get you up to nearly 6,000 meters (19,685 feet) and is one of the most demanding treks in all of Peru—which means fewer people! You’ll see plenty of giant, craggy, snow-capped mountains and bright blue lakes as you wind through this stunning landscape.
Santa Cruz Trek
The Santa Cruz trek will take you to some of the most beautiful and breathtaking vistas in the world, which is one of the reasons why it is becoming one of Peru’s most popular. You’ll hike upwards to 6,000 meters (19,685 feet) and view vibrant blue lakes and might just catch a glimpse of the speckled Andean bear.
Head to the beautiful city of Arequipa to hike through a canyon twice as deep as the Grand Canyon—which is hard to wrap your mind around. You can experience this canyon on either a one-day hike or longer treks that’ll take about five days and take you through the bowels of this breathtaking natural wonder.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.