Traveling to Peru is always an adventure. But if you’re looking for more adrenaline, there are plenty of activities to satisfy certified thrill-seekers, from riding white rapids to paragliding.
Trekking the Inca trail is perhaps the most popular adventure activity among travellers who want to visit Machu Picchu. But the Salkantay route, listed by National Geographic as one of the 25 best treks in the world, is an alternative option. Andean scenery, snowcapped mountains and tropical forests: you’ll see it all during the Salkantay trek, as well the impressive mountain with the same name. Private tours can last four or five days and include meals, guidance, cargo mules and campsites. On your last day, you’ll arrive very early at Machu Picchu with a clear idea of what the Andes is all about.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Caballo de totora surfing in Huanchaco
A caballito de totora is an ancient kayak-like vessel made from woven reed. It’s still used by fishermen in northern coastal regions such as La Libertad. Could this have been the earliest form of surfing? The surfing historians aren’t sure yet, but there are surfers and even fishermen themselves who can be seen riding waves sitting down, kneeling or standing up in caballitos de totora. Nowadays you can rent a caballito de totora and take lessons in Huanchaco, Trujillo’s main beach. Your friends will never believe you.
Paragliding in Miraflores
You simply can’t miss the paragliders jumping off the green Miraflores cliffs facing the Pacific Ocean. Gliding like a bird has to be the coolest way of getting a tremendous view of Lima’s coast. There’s a short course at the Antonio Raimondi Park in the Cisneros seafront, then a private and experienced instructor joins you once you’re ready to take off. Flights last 15 minutes or so and cost about $60, and they include a free HD video of your session.
Sandboarding in Huacachina
Three hours south of Lima lies a dreamy place called Huacachina. It’s a town surrounded by desert in the Ica region, and the dunes nearby are the perfect spot for dune buggy riding or sandboarding. Most tours will offer a guided experience with basic equipment, and in the case of dune buggy riding, a private driver to take you up and down the sand mountains. Try to take a late afternoon tour: you’ll never forget the sunset in the desert.
Rafting down the Urubamba
Rafting down the Urubamba river is one of the best options in Peru for an adrenaline rush. This is a river south of Cusco, in the middle of the Inca’s Sacred Valley. The usual ride is a level three of difficulty and lasts about three hours – perfect if you’re looking to spend a whole day outside of Cusco.
Cycling the Colca Valley
The Colca Valley is located in Arequipa, south of Peru. It’s a spot much visited by locals and tourists hoping to see the king bird of the Andes: the condor. Most cycling tours last about three days and start at Chivay, before descending through unpaved roads onto the highway and finally reaching the Pacific Ocean. Your tour may require you to camp, but nothing beats the experience of waking up in Peru’s most important valley and biking all over again. All meals and a bike are usually included. Other tours offer a more cultural experience, often visiting communities along the road and trying traditional food.
Canopy and Zip Lining in the Amazon
Tambopata is a National Reserve located in Madre De Dios, an Amazonian region bordering Bolivia and Brazil. This paradise is known for its important ecosystem rich in flora and fauna. Image zip lining or walking suspended in the air over this part of the rainforest, home to 1,700 different species of plants and hundreds of animals.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.