The White City of Arequipa is arguably Peru’s most beautiful. The historical center with its white arches and giant cathedral is the highlight of the city but Arequipa is also surrounded by one of Peru’s most remarkable landscapes and the country’s best hikes. There’s enough to hike and see for a month, but here’s how to get the most out of Arequipa in only 24 hours.
You have a decision to make as the hike takes a full day. So option one gives you the city and option two, the hike.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This will allow you to see all of the interesting things the city of Arequipa has to offer.
Monasterio de Santa Catalina
Monasterio de Santa Catalina is a cultural treasure and the most unique church and monastery in Peru. Even if you’ve seen enough colonial churches, this is on another level. The monastery is a city within a city, complete with streets, little apartments, a church and its own coffee shop. The site just might be the most beautiful man-made structure in Peru. You’ll feel transported to a different time as you navigate your way through its colorful streets.
Lunch and dinner
Arequipa is regarded as one of Peru’s food capitals, claiming some of the country’s most iconic dishes such as rocoto relleno and adobo as its own. You’ll find delicious food at every turn. You can eat at little mom-and-pop shops, dine at a restaurant of some of Peru’s top chefs or eat vegan sushi—Arequipa has some good eats for everyone.
Sunset in the plaza
After walking for hours in the monastery it’s time to just sit back and enjoy the beautiful city of Arequipa. Head to the plaza de armas to soak up the scene and watch the sun descend behind the city. You’ll also get an up-close look at the massive white cathedral, which is one of Peru’s largest. If you’re looking for a cocktail, the plaza has more than enough restaurants and bars to grab one in. The best spots are the second story restaurants for the view.
If you have to see Colca Canyon, the world’s second deepest canyon, then this is for you. It will be about all that you see in Arequipa because the hike takes all day.
This hike isn’t for the faint of heart, but luckily, you’ll only be doing the one-day hike. This hike won’t get you in the canyon like the others, but you will get to see a lot of it, mostly from car overpasses. The canyon is about 4 hours away from Arequipa, so you’ll mostly be seeing the inside of a car, but the canyon makes it all worth it. With incredible views and the chance to see a Andean Condor, it can be the highlight of any trip to Peru. By the time you get back it’ll be around 6 pm, giving just enough time to catch a sunset in the plaza—that is if you still have the energy.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.