Get ready to see pristine jungles and hear noises that you’ve never heard before. You’ll interact with people whose traditions come directly from their long relationship with the jungle, and who eat fruit that seems to originate from another planet. You’ll experience the beauty and heat of the jungle during the day, and the sounds of the jungle at night, when the bugs and Amazon singers come out. Going to the Amazon will be the trip of your life and unlike anything you’ve ever seen before, but you’ll need to come prepared. Here’s our guide on how best to prepare for the jungle.
Do Some Exercise
If you plan on doing some trekking, you’re going to need to be in good shape, especially if you’re carrying a heavy pack, so start running and doing some pushups now. The jungle heat and humidity are no joke and will wear you out when hiking during the heat of the day. It’s best to hike early in the morning and in the evening to avoid the oppressive midday jungle heat.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Arrange Jungle Tours
Most retreats and tour operators will offer day trips in the jungle that are less stressful than doing it solo, as they assist with equipment and handle water and lunch for you. These day trips are more than doable, even in the jungle heat. The more difficult treks are multiple day hikes, but even then, your guide will assist with carrying gear and water.
Sort out Your Clothing
It can’t be stressed enough: the jungle is hot! This means that when you come to the Amazon, you’ll want lightweight clothing that breathes well. Breathability is a big deal because otherwise you really feel suffocated by your clothing. Tank tops are nice; bring plenty of T-shirts, too, because you’ll be going through a lot – you’ll sweat more than you thought possible.
At night, especially during rainstorms, it can get cool. While you don’t want to bring heavy jackets with you – you won’t use them and they’ll be a waste of space – it is a good idea to bring a light jacket, preferably a waterproof one.
It rains a lot in the Amazon, no matter what season you visit in. Because of the constant rain, trails and treks will be very muddy. Don’t bring your favorite shoes, unless you want them covered in mud. It’s best to bring hiking boots of some sort, or you can purchase rain boots in most Amazon cities for only 20 or 30 soles (US$6–9).
We’ll say it again: the Amazon is hot! And you’ll constantly be sweating. Before you arrive, make sure that you’ve been drinking plenty of fluids and are well hydrated. The first couple of days will be difficult while you get acclimatized to the heat, but after that you’ll be fine, just as long as you are constantly drinking water.
Prepare Your Diet
If you’re headed to the Amazon to drink ayahuasca with a shaman, you need to prepare weeks in advance by eating la dieta. If you’re going to the jungle and are unsure whether you’ll be drinking ayahuasca, it is important to still follow the diet, just in case mother ayahuasca comes calling to you. At least two weeks before you drink the brew, you should avoid pork, salt, fermented foods such as yogurt and soy sauce, spicy foods, refined sugar and caffeine – also, no sex for those two weeks. It is very important to follow this diet in order to get the most out of your experience.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.