The Peruvian shaman Don Martial Achote, 51, has been practising since he was 10 years old. We talked to him in the ayahuasca temple at La Luna del Amazonas retreat, and he discusses his upbringing and the path he took to becoming a shaman.
Where are you from?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
I’m from a small Amazon village called Yanachi.
How did you know that you were going to be a shaman, that it was going to be your path?
Through my dreams. I had dreams when I was 10 years old that I knew I’d become a shaman. This was my experience and my path; it’s different for everyone. My parents and my grandparents knew the science of ayahuasca medicine and were curanderos (shamans). One afternoon my grandmother said to me, “Come here, son; one day you will know and your body will be protected and you will become a curandero.” This is the truth and how it happened.
What did you see in your dreams?
I was protecting people in my dreams and healing them from their problems. I heard the icaros [songs] of the plants, and I would practise the songs with my grandmother everyday. In my mind, through my dreams, I began to learn the land and the forest, the voices of everything. My grandmother then asked me one day if I wanted to drink ayahuasca. I was 10 years old at the time. I drank ayahuasca and they said to let my dreams guide me through the ceremony, and my visions. They told me that I already knew everything in my dreams, and that the icaros would come to me. “Sing,” they would tell me, “sing the songs of the life of the forests. You know, you know it.”
Did you begin healing people at that age, or was there more that you had to go through?
Once I understood the songs and ayahuasca, I began la dieta, the shaman diet. I couldn’t eat sweets, oil, anything with sugar, and no meat. My first dieta I had to follow for 90 days, and I couldn’t even eat any fruits because of the sugar in them. My grandmother explained the diet to me and I had to to do it for my path, the path of the shaman.
At 12 years old, after learning a lot over the years, my grandparents asked me to practise with them, to lead with them in a ceremony. “Sit with us and sing with us,” they told me. “Sing the songs of the jungle.” I began to learn more and more at 12 years old. My understanding of the icaros improved and I kept singing and singing and I learned it, more and more, every day. I then learned the icaro that I now sing every day.
What is an icaro?
The icaros are the songs from the Earth, the songs to heal those people who need to be healed. It is how I work with the medicine and it is the song of ayahuasca.
What was the next step in your path?
I practised like this at 12, 13 and 14 years of age and then began performing for my family; then at 15 years old I began healing other people, but I was a little embarrassed because I was such a young person to be healing people. I began healing people from my village and around it – anyone who would come and needed to be healed, to be cured by ayahuasca and by other plants. This continued at 20 years old, 30 years old. After 30 years I came here to Iquitos and I kept working and practising in the villages, and then I came to La Luna del Amazonas at 49. I’ve been working here ever since. I love working here and curing people of their aliments and showing them the medicine of the jungle.
Is the path to becoming a shaman a difficult one and, if so, do you want your kids to become shamans?
It is a little difficult. The diet is the most difficult part of becoming a shaman. I did a diet for one year once, and I couldn’t eat a lot of food, and I couldn’t have sex. A year. A year of a life of renunciation.
Do you want your children to lead this life?
Little by little I am passing the knowledge onto my sons, so that they can understand my work and live the tradition. I won’t be around forever and want my children to be able to remember me in their work as a shaman, and so that they can protect themselves. When I move on I want them to be able to take care of themselves and take care of other people.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.