The Amazon is a wild place, and abides by its own rules. Things move a bit more slowly there, and the world is a bit stranger than you first supposed. You’ll experience things both odd and inspiring, and it’s all a part of the Amazon experience. Getting around can be tricky at times if you don’t know what to expect, which is where our guide can help. Here are some things you need to know before you set out to explore the Peruvian Amazon rainforest.
It’s Best to Explore by Boat
There’s no better way of exploring the Amazon River than by actually being on it, looking out at the dense rainforest. You’ll see river dolphins, if you’re lucky, and you’ll pass by some amazing floating villages.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Speedboats Get You There Faster
This isn’t the most scenic way to see the Amazon, because you’ll be speeding along it, but it does allow you to travel around the Amazon quickly. While the boat does fly by, you’ll still have opportunities to see wildlife at a glance, and spot some of the more remote villages.
You’ll See More on a Cargo Ship
This is the slowest way to get around the Amazon, but it is definitely the most remarkable experience. You’ll be stuck in a cargo ship that is delivering supplies all up and down the Amazon River, so the main focus of the trip is supplies; the passengers are a second thought. You’ll sleep in a room with about 70 other Peruvians, all strung up in hammocks with chickens roaming underneath. It’s the best way to see the river, as you slowly crawl your way through it. A popular route is from Yurimaguas, which is a popular port town, to Iquitos, which will take about three days.
Guided Hikes Keep You Safe
While in the rainforest, it’s best to take advantage of experts, who can show you all there is to explore. You can’t just show up and say, “I’m going into the jungle.” Decisions like that are reckless and dangerous.
Multi-Day Hikes Get You Close to the Action
This is how you really get down and dirty and explore the Amazon rainforest for real. Expert guides will take you through virgin rainforests with machetes, but this isn’t for the faint of heart. The Amazon heat is exhausting and will wear you out. Bring plenty of clothes and bug spray and enjoy the close proximity to the jungle; you can’t get much closer.
Day Hikes Are Fun
These the most recommended, because they’ll be less strenuous and you’ll be back in a bed soon after it’s over. You can do day trips to see crocodiles, manatees, snakes, and monkeys, and there’s plenty of birdwatching, too. Most companies will include attempts to view many of these animals in a day trip.
The Best Places to Go
The Amazon is a gigantic place, so it can be difficult figuring out where best to start your trip. The following ideas will help get you started.
Iquitos is a Great Place to Start
You can only get to Iquitos by boat or plane; there are no roads leading there, which gives you the best opportunities to explore virgin rainforests undisturbed by cars and roads. Out of Iquitos you can arrange all tours form one of the many tour operators located around the Plaza de Armas or along the Malecon.
Parque Manu is Unmissable
The combination of the Andes and the Amazon rainforest creates a an ecology and biodiversity unlike anywhere else in the world. After you’ve explored the Andes, shed your jackets and scarfs and head down to the jungle. Parque Manu is Peru’s most well-preserved national park and gives you the best shot of seeing some wildlife.
Not All Tours Are Equal: How to Avoid Scams
The best way to avoid amateur tour guides is to head for reputable tour companies; they will be located in the Plaza de Armas in Iquitos, and can be found and researched online. Pay attention to the reviews for each tour, and check out how long they have been doing tours for. While more reputable companies will be a little bit more expensive, it’s worth it in order to get the most out of the Amazon. Always avoid people who approach you on the streets claiming to be guides.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.