Colombia‘s isolated Pacific coast is one of the country’s lesser-known regions – much of it can only be reached by plane, but the rewards are spectacular. From wild jungles and stunning beaches, through to majestic humpback whales and breathtaking waterfalls, here’s our pick of the best.
The Pacific coast of Colombia offers one of the country’s most majestic natural spectacles: spotting humpback whales. These mighty creatures arrive in the Pacific region every year in June and July, and stay until October to give birth and raise their young. The best spots for whale watching are Nuqui, El Valle, Bahia Malaga and Bahia Solano, and there are plenty of trips and tour operators running whale watching tours during the season.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The coastline here is also home to the best surfing in the country. While there might not be world-class waves anywhere in Colombia, Pacific surfing comes pretty close! The best spots to practice surfing are Nuqui and El Valle – El Cantil Ecolodge near Nuqui offers surfing courses for all levels, and the Humpback Turtle Hostel on El Almejal beach near El Valle has boards to rent and instructors working in the hostel. If you want to ‘hang ten’ in Colombia, then make the Pacific your destination.
Utria National Park
One of Colombia’s most beautiful and biodiverse national parks is located on the Pacific Coast: Utria National Park. A vast park made up of jungle, Pacific Ocean, mangroves, and gorgeous beaches, Utria is up there as one of the country’s most stunning parks. Most visitors choose to take a stroll along a long boardwalk through the mangroves, hike through the jungle to a nearby beach, or relax on the island beach of Playa Blanca. Most whale watching trips from El Valle include a visit to Utria National Park as part of the tour.
The Pacific coast is home to the two Holy Grail diving sites of Colombia: Malpelo Island and Gorgona Island. Malpelo – an isolated rocky island some 500km (311 miles) from the mainland – can only be visited as part of a diving expedition, but the reward is huge: schools of up to 500 hammerhead sharks have been seen there. Gorgona is closer to the mainland, but the diving is equally impressive: lucky divers can spot whale-sharks, humpback whales, and sea turtles.
Jungle trekking to waterfalls
The jungles of the Chocó Pacific region are some of the most biodiverse – and wettest – places on earth, so no trip to the area is complete without spending some time hiking in the jungle. It’s not recommended to simply head out alone into the forest, as these areas are home to plenty of poisonous snakes, and it’s easy to get lost; however, hotels and tour agencies offer jungle trekking options. The most popular are located in El Valle and Guachalito Beach, and usually, end up at gorgeous waterfalls in the depths of the jungle. Eagle-eyed hikers can even spot colourful poison arrow frogs along the trail.
The jungles of the Chocó also count on an incredible bird diversity, in the world’s most bird-diverse country. Anyone with an interest in the natural world won’t want to miss the chance to head out into the forest with a pair of binoculars in search of some of the remarkable species that call the Pacific region home. The very best birding takes place on the road between Bahia Solano and El Valle, along the jungle trail behind El Almejal Ecolodge, and in the forest between El Valle and Utria National Park. Local guides can be arranged in most hostels and hotels.
Often named as one of the most beautiful beaches in Colombia, Guachalito beach is located almost two hours south of Nuqui by boat, on an isolated and wildly beautiful stretch of coastline. The black sand beach is long – walking along its full length could take hours – and fringed by jungle and waterfalls, as well as several simple hotels and ecolodges, the best of which is the aforementioned El Cantil Ecolodge. The sea is great for swimming and surfing, and whales can often be spotted from the shore during the right season.
Uramba Bahía Málaga National Park
One of Colombia’s newest national parks, Uramba is popular with travellers due to the fact that it can easily be accessed by boat from the Pacific port city of Buenaventura, located about three hours from Cali. There are a few small towns to stay in – Juanchaco, Ladrilleros, and La Barra are the most popular – but the majority of the park is virgin nature. It is hugely popular in whale watching season, as the vast Malaga Bay contains one of the highest-density whale populations on the Pacific coast between June and October.
There are several excellent, natural hot springs along the coast of the Chocó – the most popular is definitely in the town of Termales, about a one-hour walk along the beach and coastline from Playa Guachalito (or 15 minutes by boat). Just outside the town is a large hot spring, where visitors can enjoy the natural waters, get a mud facial, or sip a cold drink in the sunshine. The other option is located in the small village of Jurubida, where a one-hour trek through the jungle leads to several isolated natural pools.
This former prison island was named after the mythical snake-haired Greek monster, due to the huge number of snakes living on it. Don’t let that put you off visiting though: the protected island is now a natural paradise, and one of Colombia’s top destinations for off-the-beaten-track eco-tourism. Visitors can enjoy sightings of endemic birds, monkeys, sloths, and lizards in the jungles, and then head offshore for humpback whales sightings, or to dive with whale sharks and hammerheads.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.