The landscape of Andalusia is full of prehistoric drama and sprawling Spanish charm. Relax on the Costa del Sol with a view and a plate of food and marvel at the awe-inspiring views, before experiencing true Andalusian Spanish culture with a night of flamenco. The terrain stretches from deserts to beaches to mountains, all perilous and rewarding. Head to the cities to experience the culture, the towns for the heart, and travel out to the desert and the coast to see wonders in the Andalusian terrain that do not spring up anywhere else.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Flamenco at El Palacio Andaluz in Seville
Defiance and seduction guide traditional flamenco in Seville. Duplicitous flirtation beckons and then rejects, the rhythm beaten out with a strong heel and a musical hand. Sit in a tavern and allow yourself to be overcome by gitana passion. See the best of flamenco at El Palacio Andaluz or, for something more intimate, try the Museo del Baile Flamenco.
Espetos de sardinas malagueño in Málaga
Skewers of sardines charred by a wood burning barbecue on the beach is a delicious lunch anywhere on the Costa del Sol but a delicacy in Málaga. Ten espetos, or sardines, are skewered by a sword and pitted against the flames. Served with fresh tomatoes, olive oil, salt and lots of local white wine, the flavours can never quite be recreated anywhere else.
Sacromonte is a must if you go to Granada. The neighbourhood was hewn out of rock faces on precipitous slopes in front of the Alhambra at some point in the 16th century. Traditionally, it is the neighbourhood of the Granadian Romani. No two caves are alike, each boasting their own personality. To get to the Sacromonte, head upwards with your back to the Alhambra.
The Great Mosque of Córdoba
The Great Mosque of Córdoba is the quintessential piece of Moorish architecture. Similar buildings are scattered through Andalusia, but this one is special. The site exemplifies Islamic architecture with its hypnotic rows of arches and detailed mosaics. The approach to La Mezquita is via the Patio de los Naranjos, one street over from the Tourist Board office.
Alcázar de Sevilla
Speaking of traditional Islamic architecture, Seville’s royal palace of Alcázar is both luxurious and dramatic in infinitesimal detail. There are magnificent salons with tiled walls and intricate plasterwork, next to courtyards with beautiful pools. Buy the tickets online in advance to avoid queuing in the sun. The palace is close to the metro stop Real Alcázar de Sevilla.
Los Pueblos Blancos – Arcos de la Frontera
It would take a feature longer than this to describe them in detail, but the Pueblos Blancos (white towns) are always worth a visit. Settled in the hills and mountains of the Sierra Nevada Desert, these remote hilltop villages are full of whitewashed houses built in the Berber, Moorish style that is so common in Andalusia. The villages herald winding, gleaming, cobbled streets with beautiful views of snowy mountains. Visit Arcos de la Frontera for an experience of the beauty that these villages have to offer.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.