The Basque city of Bilbao is becoming well known for its creative street art scene, of which there are pockets all over the city. A city so entwined with art and design, and home to one of the world’s most famous modern art museums – the Guggenheim – it’s not surprising that urban art has definitely got a strong foothold here.
Street art districts in Bilbao
Street art and grafitti can be found all across Bilbao, but many are concentrated around a few different areas. Wander around the districts below to find some of the best pieces or visit specific murals by some of the world’s most famous street artists who have chosen to display their work in Bilbao.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ribera de Deusto
Ribera de Deutso is the area located around Bilbao University, so it’s not surprising that it’s become a hotbed for street artists with it’s young and hip vibe. You’ll find a wide variety of street art here, housed in abandoned warehouses, around street corners and on bridges.
Zorrotza is situated across the river from Deusto and is quite far from the city centre, so doesn’t usually see many tourists. A more traditional area of the city, it’s undergoing a change, dotted with many murals and pieces of street art. Two places that have helped the artistic regeneration of the area are the Espacio Open at the old biscuit factory of Fábrica Artiach, which hosts workshops, events and vintage markets; and the ZAWP Bilbao, a cultural centre which holds exhibitions and the monthly MuMe Musical Market.
To the south of the city centre and the west of Bilbao La Vieja sits the district of Iralabarri and the Avenida Kirikiño. Here you’ll find Plaza Kirikiño, which looks almost like a painted city, with the facades of all the buildings sprayed in bright colours and geometric shapes. The murals are the work of DK Muralismo, comprising three different artists – Fermín Moreno, José Ramón Bañales and Jorge Rubio.
The famous Brazilian-Spanish street artist Erb Mon has created many pieces in Bilbao, and is known for his bold geometric shapes and bright colours. You can see some of his work located on the corner of Aretxaga and San Francisco Streets, entitled Eskerrik Asko. Another of his works can be found on García Salazar Street – a mural written in the Basque language called Bi(i)tsa, which he created in conjunction with literary writer Amânturi.
Another well-known street artist who has chosen to showcase his work on the roads of Bilbao is Sixe Parades, whose real name is Sergio Hidalgo Paredes. Originally from Barcelona, Sixe has been creating urban art since the 80s. His work is influenced by other Catalan artists such as Antoni Tàpies and Joan Miró, as well as the country of Peru, a destination which he travels to often. Sixe has produced a few famous works in Bilbao including Futurismo Primitivo (below), which can be seen on a facade in Bilbao La Vieja.
Aryz is a young street artist also from Barcelona, whose work is becoming increasingly well known throughout the world. His pieces are huge and very detailed, and usually cover the whole side of a building, often located on the sides of abandoned factories. Aryz has produced his urban art everywhere, from the United States and Puerto Rico to Morocco, China and Denmark. He also created one of Bilbao’s most recognisable pieces of street art in 2014 – El Fin Justificado, located at number 58 Urazurrutia Street.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.