Colombia is a musical melting pot of genres, instruments, and artists. Indeed, with the country’s incredible cultural diversity comes a wealth of amazing music inspired by folkloric styles, modern sounds, and global genres. And this is an ongoing phenomenon as well, as there are some incredibly exciting new artists in Colombia right now making fantastic music. So here are the most exciting new bands in the country’s capital that you should know about!
A musical project once described as ‘a journey to the rhythmic Afro-Caribbean roots of Colombia fuelled by the hypnotic power of African house beats’ by Sounds and Colours, the members of Ghetto Kumbé fuse traditional Afro-Colombian percussion with intense electronic beats and samples. They have a particularly strong band aesthetic: neon tribal masks and outfits are a particular standout of their intense live show. Originally made up of three members – percussion wizard Chongo de Colombia, Edgardo Garcés, a.k.a. El Guajiro, and Andrés Mercado, a.k.a. Dr. Keyta – Chongo has since departed to pursue his other, equally wonderful, musical projects. However, if their recent single ‘Eso no me falla’is anything to go by, their upcoming second EP, Soy Selva, will be an absolute stunner!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
La Tromba Bacalao
One of the most exciting up-and-coming bands in Bogotá, La Tromba Bacalao is what happens when a group of school friends who are equally in thrall to the sounds of cumbia and vallenato as they are to heavy rock form a band! With just one single – the incendiary and intense cumbia hellscape of ‘Maicao’ – to their name so far, the band is a fixture on the Bogotá live music circuit; when you travel to the Colombian capital, seek out one of their gigs if you can. Their live show is rightly garnering plaudits for its intensity, and with an upcoming album in the works, there are big things to come from La Tromba Bacalao.
La Sonora Mazurén
A new musical project consisting of members from the aforementioned Tromba Bacalao and popular rock band Oh’laville, La Sonora Mazurén plays Chicha music – the name of a style of Peruvian psychedelic cumbia music that rose to popularity in Lima in the 1960s. A largely instrumental project, a Sonora Mazurén gig is an immersive experience, propelled by the hypnotic style of the music and an incredible light show. With an official upcoming release planned, La Sonora Mazurén is another band with a bright future in Colombia.
La Perla has been playing music together since 2014, but they just released their first EP, the excellent Paren la Bulla. Describing their music as a mixture of bullerengue, cumbia, Dominican merengue, Gaita and champeta criolla, La Perla is currently made up of six Colombian women, all of whom are self-taught students of Colombian folkloric music and Caribbean musical genres. Their music moves to the propulsive rhythms of the Colombian Caribbean coast and is the perfect example of how contemporary Colombian artists are taking traditional Colombian sounds and instruments and creating new and exciting songs.
KoKodrilo was born in 2016, as a result of guitarist Sebastián Carrizosa’s determination to create a musical sound which accurately reflected his diverse musical tastes and experiences. A quick glance at their influences – which include The Clash, Anibal Velasquez, Crass, Sonic Youth, Lucho Bermúdez, and Willie Colón – on their website is surely enough to excite any musical polymath. There surely aren’t many bands seeking to find the point between 70s Nuyorican salsa and the London Punk scene! The sound they have created from this melting pot of influences is unlike any other in the already diverse modern Colombian music scene.
While not technically a ‘new’ band – La BOA, or Bogotá Orquestra Afrobeat (Bogota Afrobeat Orchestra), have released collaborative albums with legendary Colombian singer Nelda Piña for years now – La BOA has just released their first ever ‘solo’ record, the remarkable Volumen. With funky guitars, marimbas, soulful vocals from guest artists, including Piña and Nidia Góngora, Volumen is a boundary-pushing modern take on Afrobeat music, and easily one of the best Colombian albums of the year!
El Leopardo treads a fine line between new artist and one-off collaboration. However, if their recent debut single – an eponymous fusion of techno and traditional Colombian percussion – is anything to go by, music fans will surely be hoping that legendary Colombian electronic artist Dani Boom and Chongo de Colombia find time to produce more music as El Leopardo in the future. Released on Polen Records at the start of 2017, their single, ‘El Leopardo’, featuresdeep, propulsive bass, pounding percussion, and echoing, chanted vocals, marking it out as one of the most exciting songs to come out of Bogotá this year.
YOPO released their first album – the excellent Ovolución – in 2016 on the independent Sello In-Correcto record label. Named after a traditional Sikuani indigenous visionary snuff made from the seedpods of the Yopo tree, YOPO’s music is a practically indefinable blend of experimental electronica, Andean music, trip-hop, and ambient, which its creator, Gregorio Hernández de Alba, has described as Latinotrónica.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.