Just 20 kilometres from traveller favourite Salento, Filandia has all the charm of a traditional Colombian coffee town, but with half the crowds. Think locals only, hole-in-the-wall bars, moustached men in ponchos, and miles of rolling, lush green hills. From epic lookout points to stunning finca-dotted cycling routes, discover how to spend an awesome 48 hours in the Zona Cafetera’s most underrated town.
Take in the colourful architecture
Because of its proximity to tourist hotspot Valle de Cocora, Salento has taken all the limelight when it comes to quaint coffee towns. However, Filandia has a very similar architectural style and remains just as well-preserved. Tile-roofed houses here are all brightly coloured in blues, greens and oranges, 200-year-old beams still hold θπ restaurant and hostel ceilings, and the stunning, perfectly preserved blue-and-white colonial church still stands in the well-groomed square. Trust us, you’ll fall in love with this place as soon as you step off that salsa-blaring bus.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Cycle to Finca Aprisco La Española
Filandia is surrounded by miles of lush green coffee farms, many of which are dotted with dirt tracks perfect for cycling. A beautiful route is to cycle from Filandia to Finca Aprisco La Española: the home of the local priest and goat farmer, located about halfway along the Filandia-Quimbaya road. Upon request, the priest and his family prepare an Antioquian feast in their traditional outdoor kitchen, which includes clay-roasted chicken served with plantains, rice, salad and avocado, and a hearty sancocho soup served in a charming colonial courtyard surrounded by fragrant flowers and fluttering hummingbirds. While your meal is prepared, friendly Jairo will show you around the farm and even let you feed the baby goats! If you fancy going a bit further, continue along the road to the rarely visited town of Quimbaya – just ask Jairo to make a reservation with Bidea Hostel one day in advance.
Check out the views at La Colina Iluminada
Filandia, being bang smack in the middle of Colombia’s coffee axis, is surrounded by epic scenery. There are rolling, lush green hills dotted with grazing horses, misty, snow-capped mountain backdrops, and dusty dirt paths leading to centuries-old coffee haciendas. For the best views in town, head to La Colina Iluminada; a wooden structure 19 metres (62 feet) tall that gives you views across the three Zona Cafetera departments. Weather permitting, you might even spot the majestic Parque Nacional Natural Los Nevados in the distance.
Treat your taste buds at Helena Adentro
Serving up innovative Colombian fusion food in a chic, chill, outdoor space, arty Helena Adentro is considered one of the coolest places to eat in the Zona Cafetera – it has even started to gain international acclaim for its creative dishes. A focus on farm-fresh, seasonal ingredients means an ever-changing tapas-style menu, but you can expect Colombian classics with a delicious twist, such as yuca croquettes filled with sour cream and sweet paprika, delicious choripans with caramelised onions and chimichurri, and oven-baked trout with coconut rice. An absolute must-visit while in Filandia.
Try your hand at ‘tejo’
The coffee region has a popular game called tejo: a game that consists of throwing a metal puck across the room at a surface of triangular targets containing gunpowder. The aim of the game is to make every target explode! In Filandia, the place to go is Cancha de Tejo Café Pueblo. To play, buy a beer at the bar, pick up a puck and join in with the locals. Be forewarned, though: these guys, throwing the puck from more than 50 metres (164 feet) away, they’re absolute pros.
Visit a working coffee farm
As you would expect from any coffee town in Colombia, Filandia is surrounded by coffee fincas. The special thing about visiting one here, however, is that they’re not too touristy. Most farms in the surrounding areas are relatively small and family owned, meaning you get a more intimate, local insight into how a no-frills coffee finca is run. Don Eduardo and Finca El Mirador are the two most popular farms to visit, but there are several nearby – just ask around.
Hike to the secret double waterfall
You’ll hear some rumblings about a doble cascada (double waterfall) while in Filandia. These scenic waterfalls are located inside private land, however the owners are friendly about letting visitors explore the grounds. It’s an easy 35-minute hike from town through lush forest, where it’s likely you’ll only have cows, hummingbirds and colourful butterflies as your hiking companions. If it’s a hot day, it’s an awesome place to spend the afternoon and, if you dare, go for a refreshing dip. Bidea Hostel has a handy map of the route, just ask at the front desk.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.