Colombia produces some of the world’s best coffee, and the good news for coffee-loving travellers is that there is a growing coffee tourism industry in the country, meaning that you can really learn about Colombian coffee on your trip. So here are Colombia’s best coffee tours, from immersive tours of coffee farms to visits to speciality coffee shops.
The WakeCup Experience Coffee Tour by Experiencia Cafetera has been called ‘Colombia’s best coffee tour’ and it’s easy to understand why when you take the tour: a truly immersive coffee tour based out of the lovely little town of Pijao – like Salento with no tourists – the tour spends time with local farmers, jeep drivers, and coffee entrepreneurs, and gives you a real insight into the culture of Colombian coffee.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Flavours of Bogota Specialty Coffee Tour
Bogota’s best coffee tour is this excellent Specialty Coffee Tour, which takes you on a tour around the best independent cafes in the city, explaining in the process the culture behind speciality coffee in Colombia. The guides are passionate coffee-lovers, and their insights – along with those of the baristas serving you – will prove invaluable, especially if you’re new to the coffee scene.
Traditional Bogota Coffee Tour by Andes Ecotours
If you only have a short time in Colombia and don’t have time to make it to the Coffee Region then this day-tour of a coffee farm from Bogota is a must. Taking you to the stunning Cerro del Quinini a few hours south of Bogota, the tour explores the plantations of a local collective of farmers producing truly environmentally-friendly, shade-grown coffee in a stunning natural setting.
Finca El Ocaso
Salento is probably the most visited town in the Colombian Coffee Region, so it’s where most people end up taking a coffee tour. There are two excellent coffee tours available in and around the town (see the second below), and Finca El Ocaso’s tour is one of them. Taking place on a lovely little traditional farm, the tour offers a comprehensive introduction to the growing process of Colombian coffee.
A speciality coffee company operating coffee shop tours in Bogota, Travesia’s tours are another great way to get to know the Bogota coffee scene with passionate local experts. With coffee shop tours in both La Candelaria and Chapinero neighbourhoods, Travesia Coffee Tours are the perfect introduction to Colombian coffee before you head off into the Coffee Region.
La Victoria Coffee Plantation
La Victoria Coffee Plantation is a lovely traditional coffee farm just outside Minca in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta mountains on the Colombian Caribbean coast. It also boasts some of the oldest machinery of any farm in Colombia, and their unique tour explains how their old yet effective harvesting system works, entirely through water and machinery dating back to the era of Queen Victoria (hence the name).
Finca Milena, Jardin
Jardin in Antioquia department might just be one of the most beautiful coffee towns you’ll ever visit, so it makes sense to take a coffee tour while you’re there. At the lovely Finca Milena coffee farm, not only can you stay in an authentic traditional coffee farmhouse, but you can also take an informative tour to learn all about the coffee process.
Just outside the Coffee Region city of Manizales is Hacienda Venecia, a typical coffee farm containing some truly stunning typical buildings of the region. You can stay in the main house – a delightful example of local Paisa architecture – and take the coffee tour of their beautiful farm.
Finca Don Eduardo
The other top coffee tour in Salento takes place on the little coffee farm of Don Eduardo, a local Colombian coffee farmer with a lifetime of knowledge and experience, all of which he brings to the tour with his passion and enthusiasm. It’s perhaps a more authentic experience than El Ocaso, and the positive reviews for Don Eduardo and his tour just keep coming!
Toucan Cafe Coffee Tour
Medellin’s best coffee tour is run by Toucan Cafe and Tours – they offer a variety of coffee experiences, including coffee tasting at their cafe, a barista workshop, and a coffee tour to a local coffee plantation in the mountains around the city. If you want to learn about coffee in Colombia’s second city, then this is the tour for you.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.