The Old Town of Cartagena is one of the most enchanting attractions in Colombia. You could – and should – spend days drifting through the colorful streets, admiring the colonial architecture, before diving into the expansive gastronomic scene. But that would only scratch the surface. Here’s what else you need to see and do.
With Culture Trip, you can enjoy a guided street-food tour of Cartagena as part of our immersive eight-day Colombian Caribbean adventure, led by our Local Insider.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Watch the sunset at Café del Mar
Enjoying a rum cocktail at this renowned bar on the city walls while watching the sun set over the Caribbean is a must. The drinks are a bit pricey, but worth it for the atmosphere and view. Wondering what to drink? Why not try the Cafe del Mar cocktail, a combination of vodka, Aperol, rosemary, pineapple and rose syrup?
Watch the dancers at Plaza Bolívar
Plaza Bolívar, with its shady square and rows of benches, is the perfect place to while away a few hours, enjoying the sights and sounds of the Old Town. The most stirring of these sights is provided by local dancers, who regularly perform for tips in the square, usually dancing to traditional Colombian coastal music played by live bands.
Visit the Zenú Gold Museum
The fascinating Zenú Gold Museum – alongside the lovely Plaza Bolívar – is not only free to visit but also a perfect way to get a window into the ancient cultures that once called this region home. There are several rooms to explore, with artefacts from the Zenú community, including pottery and golden jewelry.
Take the Free Walking Tour
The Free Walking Tour of Cartagena (which works on a tipping basis) is easily the best tour you can take of the Old Town. You’ll discover the unique and fascinating history of the city, as well as learn many facts about the so-called Jewel of the Indies. If you’re planning to take one tour in Cartagena, this should be it.
Go shopping at Las Bóvedas
Beneath the Old Town walls is the Bóvedas market, a lovely stretch of souvenir shops built in the old cells of the former Cartagena prison. Each cell contains a small shop selling items from hammocks to woven bags. The cells are so close to the sea that former prisoners used to be up to their ankles in seawater at high tide.
Eat at La Cevicheria
Anthony Bourdain’s favorite restaurant in Cartagena is one of the best places to enjoy a great meal in the Old Town (high praise because there are so many great restaurants in the city). With a laid-back, fun vibe and some of the best and freshest seafood around, La Cevicheria is highly recommended.
Explore the graffiti of Getsemani
The Getsemani neighborhood is outside the inner walls, but still part of the Old Town. Its faded colonial beauty stands in stark contrast to the glitz and glamour of the Walled City, but it has a lovely bohemian charm. Come here to take in the beautiful murals and street art.
Touch Botero’s ‘Fat Gertrude’ for luck
It’s said that touching the left breast of Fernando Botero’s Fat Gertrude statue, in the heart of the Old Town, will grant you good luck, so make sure to try it out when you pass. While you’re here, pose for a fun photo with the palenqueras (fruit sellers) who sit on the same square – remember to ask for permission first.
Hang out on Plaza de la Trinidad
The central square of Getsemani is a hive of activity every night of the week, as people descend upon the cobbled plaza to drink, eat, dance and be merry. The atmosphere is typical of Getsemani: laid-back, bohemian and looser than the stuffier Walled City. Plaza Trinidad is easily the coolest place to enjoy a cold beer in the evening.
Visit the Museum of Modern Art
In a beautiful 17th-century customs house, the Museo del Arte Moderno is one of the most fascinating art museums in Cartagena, home to pieces by artistic luminaries such as Enrique Grau and Alejandro Obregón. It sits in the equally fantastic San Pedro Claver Square.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.