The colourful little lakeside town of Guatape is less than two hours from Medellin and has become one of Colombia’s most enduringly popular day-trip or weekend getaways for both travellers and locals. There are so many excellent activities on offer here and so many good reasons to visit. Here are 11 reasons why should visit Guatape at least once in your lifetime.
To climb that rock…
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The number one reason for visiting Guatape is to climb the 740 steps to the top of the El Peñón de Guatape (‘The Rock of Guatape’), also known as El Peñol. The story goes that the neighbouring towns of Guatape and El Peñol couldn’t agree over who the rock belonged to, and Guatape residents even went so far as to start painting their name on the side before they were stopped (hence the giant G-I you can still see on one side); regardless of whose it is, climbing the rock is essential!
… and enjoy one of the best views in Colombia
And it’s essential not just because of the fun and satisfaction of slogging your way to the top of a giant rock, but for the truly breathtaking view you’re rewarded with when you finally arrive. The panorama over the vast artificial lakes and islands of the Guatape reservoir is one of Colombia’s most iconic sights and a great reason for making the short trip to the town.
The colourful streets are an Instagrammer’s dream
The town of Guatape itself, not to be outdone by its famous rocky neighbour, is one of the cutest and most colourful towns you’ll find in the whole of Colombia. The brightly painted skirting boards of all the houses are decorated with images depicting the history of the town, and the garish colours give the entire place a surreal vibe.
You can ride a zip line over a lake…
That’s right: you can ride a zip line across the waters of the actuallake, right along the main lakeside boardwalk. It’s the easiest adrenaline rush you’ll ever have.
… and hire an actual pedalo
For fans of kitsch holiday fun, Guatape has you covered: you can rent pedalo boats down by the jetty and head out onto the vast lake to ride around to your heart’s content. All those childhood memories will come flooding back. It’s great fun, and even better if you take an ice cream with you.
The location is fantastic
There’s really no excuse notto visit Guatape on a trip to Colombia: it’s less than two hours by bus from Medellin. It’s so close and convenient to get to that you can even visit on a day trip and be back in the city by dinnertime, but it’s really worth making the effort to stay overnight if you have time.
You can learn to sail
If you’ve always wanted to learn how to sail, then you can at Guatape. A local sailing school offers basic one-day courses as well as more intensive training sessions, all in the gorgeous setting of the lakes of Guatape. The calm waters and pleasant weather make for perfect learning conditions and the instructors are patient and friendly.
The food is excellent
Guatape is especially well known for its delicious trout dishes (it isnext to a lake, after all), and there is a host of other top restaurants popping up in the town as it becomes more well known among the traveller community. From some of the best vegetarian and vegan places in Colombia to real Italian pizza, Guatape is a great place to break the Colombia travel cycle of meat, beans, rice and plantain.
You can hang-glide over a giant lake
Hang-gliding excursions are one of the latest traveller trends in Guatape, and it’s an experience like no other. The views over the lake are second t0 none, and you’ll see the scenery from an angle that most people can only imagine.
There’s a water park floating on the lake
Guatape offers another great opportunity to act like a big kid at the Comfama Recreation Park on the road between the town and the rock; on a hot day you can enjoy messing around on the giant inflatable water park and rent kayaks to explore the surrounding lake.
You can go flyboarding
If the idea of flying over the lake doesn’t appeal to you, then how about simply soaring over the surface of the water? Flyboarding involves standing on a board while two water jets propel you upwards into the air, and you can flyboard on the lake in Guatape. The best bit is that you only need a bit of balance to get the hang of it, and most people are ‘flying’ within five minutes.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.