Springtime festival Fauna Primavera was launched in 2011 with the simple goal of bringing music to fans in Chile. Now the event is one of the country’s biggest music festivals.
When mapping out the global music tour circuit, Chile is not an epicenter, and it isn’t anywhere near one either. The country has been dubbed “the end of the world” due to its isolation on all sides by mountains, desert, ocean and ice, meaning it isn’t an easy destination for musicians to travel to on a frequent basis. Long, pricey flights, plus the cost and logistics of transporting equipment, meant many didn’t have the budget to play and organize shows in the country.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Some bands would perform in nearby cities, such as Rio de Janeiro or Buenos Aires, but Chile was frequently left off tour destinations. The only bands who ventured to Chile were those who were guaranteed to sell out huge stadiums.
The team behind Fauna Producciones started their business with the simple goal to connect music-lovers in Chile with the opportunity to attend live concerts. Their first project was bringing French electro-pop singer Yelle over for a show — which swiftly sold out. Gradually, they expanded their operations, bringing more international artists to perform in Chile. The shows proved lucrative and successful, with the demand so great, that Fauna created their own festival, Primavera Fauna in 2011.
Eight years on, the festival continues to grow and attract an increasing amount of bands. Artists including Pulp, Tame Impala, Phoenix and Iggy Azalea have been billed alongside premium Chilean acts, such as Astro, Gepe and Los Bunkers. The event takes place in Espacio Broadway; an extensive, grassy space in the suburbs of Santiago. Here, the air is fresher than downtown, and the sloping coastal cerros (hills) can be seen behind the stages, making it a uniquely picturesque setting in which to watch the performances.
Primavera Fauna is a welcomed addition to the Chilean festival scene. Lollapalooza Chile is the country’s biggest pop festival, which also kicked off in 2011, but it’s a far more mainstream affair: a non-alcoholic event that’s also family-friendly, attracting crowds of more than 100,000 people.
Much smaller than Lollapalooza, Fauna attracts a more select crowd, intensely interested in music and curious to discover what’s up and coming. Whether it’s those that arrive at 2pm and leave after the headliner closes 10 hours later, or those who rock up later to enjoy the club segment of the festival, which runs till 5am, Fauna is an event for those unprejudiced and elective in their music taste, whether it be pop, punk or house, mainstream or experimental.
Fauna Primavera is now considered to be one of Latin America’s top indie fests, and Chilean audiences are no longer deprived of the live music experiences that others across the region could enjoy. The festival in 2018 was a 15-hour long event, headlined by Lorde, and also featured US bands psych-pop duo MGMT and alternative rock band At The Drive In. Chilean artists included Javiera Mena, Rubio and Playa Gótica, while electronic live acts such as techno musicians Paul Kalkbrenner and Nina Kraviz headlined the club slots. It was the festival’s largest edition, with the most acts featured, and the largest audience size in its history, with 12,000 in attendance.
Owing to the success and demand of the springtime festival, Fauna Producciones launched more intimate autumn edition in 2017, suitably called Fauna Otoño, which has billed the likes of Mogwai, with Lauryn Hill headlining 2019’s edition on 4 May. The company also produces several smaller-scale events, such as the bi-annual urban festival, Campo Abierto.
To find out more and book tickets, visit faunaprod.cl.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.