Enjoy Chile’s warm and breezy summertime weather by rocking out to the country’s best musical acts. Whether in the heart of the capital, Santiago, or the beaches of surf hub Pichilemu, the following 10 unmissable music festivals combine the best of Chilean music with the country’s diverse landscapes, rich culture and glorious weather.
Festival del Huaso de Olmué
January 19–22, Olmué, Chile
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Set in the small, quaint town of Olme, Festival del Huaso de Olmué is a folklore festival that embraces the country’s traditions – usually attracting a more mature crowd. Although its various acts continue to celebrate the cultural traditions of rural Chilean life, it does so while embracing the modern in an ever increasing urbanized country. Festival acts this year include the innovative hip-hop comedy duo Payahop, stand-up performer Bombo Fica, the pop ballad band Los Ángeles Negros and traditional cueca singer Maria Esther Zamora. Just a short bus ride from Santiago, most of its attendees stay nearby. For a secluded stay in Chile’s rolling countryside, reserve a couple of nights at the Olmue Natura Lodge & Spa.
Festival de Viña del Mar
February 20-25, Viña del Mar, Chile
Located in the scenic seaside of Chile’s north-westerly coast, Festival de Viña del Mar is Latin America’s largest music festival and with good reason. This international pop festival draws in 15,000 devoted fans each year, not to mention over 150 million media viewers. This is a festival for everyone, with an eclectic mix of regional and international musicians taking to Quinta Vergara Amphitheatre stage. If a warm summer climate, sprays of seaside air and a green backdrop isn’t enough to sway you, the fact that Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, Los Autenticos Decadents, Olivia Newton-John and J. Balvin are playing might. Not a fan of mass-crowds? Catch one of the concert performances on local television or online – it’s a true Chilean tradition not to be missed.
March 9–11, Santiago, Chile
Held at Santiago’s hip Matucana 100 venue, this alternative feminist music festival is a response to patriarchal traditions in Latin America’s music industry. Chilean singer Francisca Valenzuela is one of the key organizers of the event, which serves as a platform to showcase a host of indie, pop and rock female performers while also holding conversations about gender equality and the role of women in entertainment. Ruidosa, which is the feminine form of the Spanish word for noisy, was held for the first time last year.
April 1-2, Santiago, Chile
The Chilean iteration of Chicago’s famed music festival, Lollapalooza Chile is a two-day festival set in the heart of Santiago, attracting young die-hard rock, pop and indie fans. The festival presents a mix of world-famous international and local acts in Santiago’s O’Higgins Park. This year’s lineup includes Metallica, The Weeknd, The XX and The Strokes. Some of Chile’s best local acts are also performing, like beloved cumbia band Villa Cariño, and the country’s first afrobeat band, Newen Afrobeat.
February 17–19, Santiago, Chile
From Moroccan folk to electronic hip-hop from Ecuador, Womad Chile presents unforgettable world music acts completely free of charge. Held in capital Santiago’s Plaza de la Paz, just outside the historic Santiago Cemetery, this three-day outdoor music festival is unmissable for anyone interested in understanding foreign cultures through musical traditions. Even though the festival is free, it’s a good idea to book tickets in advance.
February 11, Pichilemu, Chile
The Chilean surfing town of Pichilemu is hosting the summertime music festival Surfbeats on February 11 – where beats of reggae, funk and rap pull in the country’s laid-back partygoers. Puerto Rican reggae band Cultura Profetica, Grammy-nominated MC Anita Tijoux and the beloved Chilean funk band Los Tetas will be playing this year. After a day of jammin’, don’t forget to check out the magnificent waves at international surfing spot Punta de Lobos.
February 8–13, Manquemapu, Chile
Combining folklore and electronic music with yoga, meditation and other mindful activities, Festival Nomade is meant to be not just a music festival, but a spiritual awakening. This outdoor music experience, presenting acts from all over the world, will be held near the coast of southern Chile in Manquemapu. Camping is highly recommended to get the full ‘nomad’ experience.
Semanas Musicales de Frutillar
January 21–February 5, Frutillar, Chile
For nearly half a century, classical music lovers from the Los Lagos Region in southern Chile have organized the festival Semanas Musicales de Frutillar. Chilean orchestras, jazz bands, pianists and other artists come from all over the country to play at the gorgeous Teatro del Lago amphitheatre situated on the Llanquihue Lake. For an authentic Chilean experience, adventurous festival goers are recommended to check out the Puerto Montt city, where a host of accommodation options await.
February 24–26, Concepción, Chile
With three simultaneous stages scattered across the waterfront, this open air rave in southern Chile offers the perfect blend of music and nature. Over 60 musical acts will be performing at this three-day electronic music festival in Concepción, Chile. If you like to rave, Hybrid Fest is worth the bus ride south. Attendees can refresh and relax in a number of hostels around the city.
Summer Ink 2017
February 25, Valparaíso, Chile
Celebrate different genres of Chilean rock and the diverse expression of tattoo art at Summer Ink 2017. Singer-songwriter Nano Stern, rockers Weichafe and punk band Los Mox! will be the stars of this one-day festival, which also doubles-up as a tattoo art exhibition. Don’t forget to explore the graffiti art of port city Valparaíso’s famous hills, if you can tear yourself away from the music that is.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.