As one of Santiago’s most cultural neighbourhoods, Lastarria is always a hive of activity; gypsy bands and hang drum buskers perform next to painters and street vendors, and festivals often take place throughout the streets. You’ll also find terrace restaurants and drinking dens hidden away inside gothic buildings and rococo style balconies – the area still retains a bohemian, free thinking air. Here are 11 things to consider exploring in this part of the city.
Watch a film at El Biógrafo
El Biógrafo is an independent theatre where you can catch American and European films. The intimate setting offers a great venue where you can catch films, all subtitled in Spanish. It generally has two films on rotation at any one time, with a showing at 3.30PM and 7.30PM. The cinema also has a great roof terrace, home to a bar serving international food and pisco-based drinks promotions.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With a selection of over four hundred Chilean wines, Bocanáriz wine bar can often be found at the top of any of the city’s ‘Best Wine Bar’ lists. With its chic interior and welcoming staff, true wine enthusiasts will feel right at home here. From here you can go on to visit one of the independent galleries on the nearby Calle Merced.
Plop! Gallery is Chile’s only space exclusively dedicated to illustration, cartoon and graphic design. Its aim is to increase the profile of Chilean and international artists alike by offering free exhibitions. Also be sure to check out the Ekho Gallery next door, a fantastic fine arts photography gallery.
Emporio La Rosa is a Lastarria institution. The homemade dishes served here are great, but most customers are interested in only one thing – the ice cream. No visit to the neighbourhood would be complete without patiently waiting in line here, ready to choose your treat. From the silky chocolate amargo (bitter chocolate) to the sharp frutas del bosque (forest fruits), Rosas has it all. Pick up a cone before heading over to Parquet Forestal for a sunset walk.
Take a trip to the cultural Centres
The Centro Gabriela Mistral, or ‘GAM’, is the place to go if you want to catch a play, dance show or concert. Just a short walk away you can also find Centro Arte Alameda. Along with a cinema and art gallery, the centre’s second floor is home to ‘The Living’ – a platform bands both up-and-coming and established to showcase their talents on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings.
Have dinner at Les Assassins
Les Assassins is Lastarria’s oldest restaurant. In 1965, the owner of this French bistro was inspired to set it up after frequenting Aux Assassin, a restaurant in the heart of Paris. Specialties include tuna meunière, steak au poivre and sole in a crab sauce. The rustic interiors and Parisian music make for a truly special atmosphere.
Spend some time in Plaza Mulato Gil de Castro
Recently redeveloped, this plaza, named after the famous Peruvian portraitist, houses the Museum of Visual Arts, home to an impressive collection of work by Chilean contemporary artists. The Archaeological Museum of Santiago can also be found here, and boasts numerous artefacts from ancient Chilean cultures. There’s also a museum café with an outdoor terrace.
Visit Cerro Santa Lucia
One of the capital’s most romantic locations, Cerro Santa Lucia is filled with cobbled narrow paths and staircases. Head to the monumental Neptune fountain and up through one of the trails that lead into the terraced gardens. Continuing up further still, you’ll reach the remains of a Spanish fort, the turret embedded in the rock. From here you can view the phenomenal cordillera and the city metropolis below.
Do some shopping at the weekend feria
Thursday through to Saturday sees the top end of Calle José Victorino taken over by the weekly antique and book fair. Rummage through dusty piles of novels in the hope of securing an illusive piece of English literature. You will also find sellers offering handicrafts, jewellery and second hand clothing.
Have a look at Iglesia de la Vera Cruz
The neighbourhood of Lastarria arose from the construction of the Vera Cruz church, built between 1852 and 1857 in the supposed plot where Pedro de Valdivia, Chile’s first royal governor, lived. The maroon coloured neoclassical church is said to have been built as a sign of friendship between Chile and Spain, to dignify and perpetuate the memory of the city’s founder. The 17th-century crucifix inside was donated by King Charles V.
Have a break in one of the neighbourhood’s hidden coffee shops
A brisk walk down Calle Rosal would probably mean walking straight past the entrance to the whimsical Wonderland Café. Its quirky interior, brightly coloured macaroons and kitsch teapots are reminiscent of the Mad Hatter’s tea party in Alice in Wonderland. It even does brunch at the weekends. Another place tucked away just off Padre Luis de Valdivia Berlin is Café Berlin, which also offers good coffee in a bright modern interior. Calle Rosal is also home to a tiny cul de sac which happens to be one of the most popular meeting points in the area. The hidden Escondido Cafe (aptly named as escondido means hidden in Spanish) can be found here along with a cluster of other small bars and restaurants.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.