Despite an impressive array of resorts, Chile has so far not been recognised for its more arty accommodation options. . With Santiago continuously enriching its collection of atmospheric boutique choices and Valparaiso quickly re-emerging as an exciting cultural center, Chile is back on the map for culture lovers.
A former Spanish Mission-style mansion, built in 1
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
27 for a Chilean political family, and its neighbouring art deco building come together to make up The Aubrey, a boutique hotel at the foot of the San Cristóbal Hill. Located in the bohemian Bellavista neighbourhood, which is packed with intellectuals, artists and avant-garde galleries, the hotel is a short stroll to Nobel Prize poet Pablo Neruda’s old house La Chascona. It offers fifteen en-suite bedrooms, old Mission-style outdoor patio terraces with medieval stone arches and a restaurant that, back in the day, was the setting for the Legendary Thursday Political Lunches of leading socio-political Santiago figures. These are just a few features that make this hotel a must stay, before you head off for some live jazz and Chilean music in the nearby cafes.
Constitución 299 – 317, Bellavista, +56229402800.
In the romantic period setting of a 1950s construction in Santa Cruz, amidst the vineyards of Colchagua Valley, you will sample Merlot and Pinot—or sleep in them. Hotel Vendimia offers eight beautiful colonial rooms named after Chile’s most prestigious wines, all featuring abundant period details (king-size colonial cots, antique mirrors, upholstered chairs, enamelled teapots). It is the first hotel in the sixth region which has obtained the Quality Tourism Label awarded by SERNATUR, Chile’s National Tourism Service. From the hotel you can depart on adventurous wine tasting in the surrounding plantations, or visit the Colchagua Museum – the largest private museum in Latin America, holding Carlos Cardoen Cornejo’s awe-inspiring collection of pre-Columbian art, mapuche silver objects and 20th century machinery.
Ismael Valdés 92, Santa Cruz, VI Region, +56 72 282 2464.
On Chiloé Island, where life first started about 7000 years ago, lies the enchanting Castro—Chile’s third oldest continuously inhabited city. Among the World Heritage Site churches—an outstanding example of ecclesiastical wooden architecture in the Americas—and the bustling Plaza des Armas, blossoms the town’s most colorful site: its picturesque palafitos (stilt houses made out of native wood). A restored long-legged structure itself, Mi Palafito is a quaint ‘Aparthotel’ that can house up to 9 people, from where you can watch (and even feel) the tide twice a day, while thumbing through a book from its small collection. The town also holds the noteworthy Museum of Modern Art of Chiloé, which you can explore after a delicious breakfast of bread and jam made on the spot.
Ernesto Riquelme 1210, Castro, Isla Chiloe, 005665634878.
A small boutique hotel on Valparaiso’s Cerro Allegre hill, with spectacular views over the Pacific Ocean (four of its nine rooms face the bay), Zerohotel is a true architectural gem in a trendy area of the culturally re-emerging historic port. French window frames and stained glass windows, wooden floorboards, a stylish outdoor deck and a small pool give it plenty of comfort and character, in a heady mix enhanced by the hotel’s Honesty Bar (remember to note your dues). Since the picturesque old town, with its cobbled streets and charming murals and facades, was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, there has been great effort by both the cultural and hotel sectors to enrich and upgrade the true Valparaiso experience and Zerohotel is well ahead of the game in this regard.
Lautaro Rosas 343, Valparaíso, (56-32) 211 3113.
In Viña del Mar, a Vineyard By The Sea in Chile’s central Pacific Coast, Ágora Hotel lies a few steps from the city’s staple art deco casino, and a few blocks from the ample and popular Acapulco beach. Immersed in sweet pastel colours and crowded with quirky furniture and a collection of surreal paintings and black and white photography, it is an arty value-for-money option for those eager to discover the city’s culture. Viña del Mar International Song Festival, held in the Quinta Vergara amphitheatre since the 1960’s, is a major music event in the Americas and the Fonck Museum has an interesting collection of objects from native villages.
5 1/2 Poniente 253 – Viña del Mar, 56-322694669.
One final Providencia gem, this revamped 1940s mansion boasts a Victorian-style conservatory perfect for a relaxed breakfast, floral and wooden features and worn white antiques that give you a feel of French countryside in the middle of Santiago. Undeniably elegant, yet super warm, it will cater to all your needs—like inviting you to one of those wonderful wingback chairs, ideal after a long museum tour. It also offers one of the best deals in a trendy and arty barrio—which means it is always wise to book ahead.
Av. Pedro de Valdivia 027, Providencia/ Santiago,
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.