Discover the rolling green hills, lines of vines and the deliciously distilled Chilean pisco in the cute, traditional village of Pisco Elqui, found near the town of La Serena. Deliberated for centuries as to who is the real founder of pisco between the Peruvians and the Chileans, discover how it’s made in Valle del Elqui.
How to get there
The Elqui Valley is accessible from both La Serena and Vicuña bus stations. Hop aboard and watch the beautiful countryside whizz past you. Once you have reached the valley, you will see vines after vines nestled between the steep hills.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
What is pisco?
Pisco is derived from distilling fermented grape juice into a spirit, providing either a colourless or yellow-amber coloured brandy. In Chile, pisco sour is the national drink, but beware – it can leave you with a rather pounding headache if gorged on! The spirit is made in both the Atacama and Coquimbo regions, where the distilleries are required to grow their own grapes. The two categories come in the form of muscat which are fragrant, or the Pedro Jiménez which is more subtle.
Visit the Capel Distillery
Just on the outskirts of Vicuña, before you reach the Elqui Valley is the Planta Capel – Capel being one of the household names of Chilean piscos. It is the largest pisco distillery in the Elqui Valley, with a small museum outlining the history of pisco as well as tours in both Spanish and English.
Visit the Pisco Mistral Distillery
In the heart of Pisco Elqui is this distillery named after Gabriela Mistral. Join either an English or Spanish tour where you will learn about the production processes, beginning when the grapes are picked between February and May to when they are stored and aged, then finally sold. Experience the product through a number of tastings and visit the museum to find out more about the history of pisco.
Lunch in Pisco Elqui
You can either dine at the distillery while tasting variations of the pisco sour, whether you want to choose the original pisco sour, one made with basil, avocado, ají or one of the other flavours available. Or opposite the church, designed by Gustave Eiffel, you will spot El Pisqueña, which has a range of local produce on offer as well as divine pisco cocktails.
Fundo Los Nichos
Producing pisco the old-fashioned way, this artisanal pisquera was established in 1868 and is the country’s oldest winery, producing aguardiente, pisco and sweet wines. The process of the production, harvesting, and the preparation techniques of the grape are in keeping with the age-old traditional pisco recipe.
Doña Josefa de Elqui – Artisan Pisco
If you don’t feel that you’ve tasted enough of the local pisco, why not visit this artisan pisco distillery that has run in the family for the last 20 years. Delicately selecting Muscat Pedo Jiménez and Rosada Pastilla grapes that are grown and produced in the Elqui Valley, and left in the oak-aged barrels, you’ve got to taste their artisanal pisco.
Stargaze by night
In the heart of the Elqui Valley is the Cerro Mamalluca Observatory, where they offer night tours to tourists who want to gaze up at the celestial sky through a 12-inch telescope. Magnified, see the twinkling lights and learn more about what you can see from the Elqui Valley.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.