Pucón is a beautiful town in Chile with a charming alpine feel, located on the shores of Lake Villarrica and at the foot of the Villarrica Volcano. For many visitors, adventure sports are the top priority, with skiing and snowboarding, hiking through national parks, white-water rafting, kayaking and many more outdoor activities to enjoy. We take a look at the top things to see and do during your visit.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
You can’t miss this imposing volcano, which poses in the background of this sweet, rustic town, coated with a dusting of snow during the winter months. Many agencies will offer the opportunity to hike up to the top of the volcano, which usually takes around five hours. It’s best to pay a deposit rather than the full amount, in case you can’t climb because of bad weather. In winter, you can also ski on the volcano.
Pucon has world-renowned white waters that produce great waves and fun for all levels, from beginners to experts. There are grade III and IV waters along the higher part of the Trancura River; families and children can go to the lower part of the river, where the rapids are slower and gentler.
The geothermic baths near Pucon are fed by natural hot springs, the heat being generated by the volcanic and geothermal activity in the area. It’s a very romantic and peaceful spot. There are many other hot springs in Chile, but these are the best!
What better way to see the incredible landscapes than by horse? Cabalgatas (horse rides) can be found at Centro Ecuestre San Pedro or Rancho de Caballo, or you can ask your hostel or hotel for assistance. Rancho offer up to six days of riding, and for those that enjoy being surrounded by nature, this is the perfect getaway. San Pedro, by contrast, offer dressage and show jumping classes as well as hacks.
Have a Chill Day
Mundo Elefante is a cute and quirky health food cafe and yoga studio. They offer delicious vegan waffles and cakes, which are perfectly accompanied by a strong cup of coffee or a nutrient-rich smoothie. Once you’ve filled up on their goodies, why not treat yourself to a relaxing yoga session?
Sunbathe on the Beaches
Some of the beaches in this area are black because of volcanic activity, so don’t forget your flip flops, as when the sun’s out, it sure can scorch your feet! The summer months are from December until March, during which time Pucon is a magnet for families and students.
Water Sports on the Lakes
Pucon sits on Lago Villarrica, where you can enjoy water sports as well as taking out a pedalo or kayak. Lago Caburgua is a little outside Pucon, but is another a great place for relaxing or doing sports.
Hike Through the National Parks
The abundance of national parks and forests make the Pucon area great for happy hikers. On your way to the Huerquehue National Park, visit the beautiful azure pools and waterfalls at Ojos del Caburgua. You can also explore the Villarrica National Reserve or chase waterfalls through Santuario el Cani.
If you haven’t quite had your fix of sports, why not go skydiving? Another possibility is canyoning, where you will be descending alongside a stunning waterfall. Once you reach the canyon, you can enjoy the natural slides and jumps, as well as doing some zip-lining. Politur offer some great excursions. Fishing enthusiasts will have plenty of choice in this area, too.
Search the Artesan Markets
The town has plenty of places where you can buy trinkets from independent artists. Whether you opt for some handmade silver jewellery laden with lapis lazuli, or you want a comical Indio Pícaro, it’s all here!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.