The city of San Luis is the capital of the province with the same name in central Argentina. Located at the foot of Sierras Grandes, the province is known for being smack bang in the middle of the dry pampas plateau and benefits from many natural sites as well as points of interest within the city itself. We check out the best things to do in San Luis.
Balde Hot Springs
The Balde district close to the capital is well known for its hot springs. In the past, the Mapuche tribes often availed of these thermal waters for their healing properties, and the same is true today for visitors from all around the country. Once in Balde, you can go to the communal hot springs or head for the more luxurious option of the Los Tamarindos resort, which specialises in spas and therapies.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bebedero Salt Desert
A salt desert lies a few kilometers away from the capital San Luis, created by the remains of the Bebedero Lagoon. While not on par with Salta’s salt flat or those of Uyuni in Bolivia, the Bebedero Salt Desert still makes for an interesting trip out of the city. The desert is quite large and you can see the conical deposits of salt from where the water has evaporated.
These waterfalls are located in the Potrero de los Funes region, which is known for it rivers, creeks and waterfalls. This 12m (39 ft) high waterfall crashes into a swimming hole at the bottom, and is surrounded by the mountains that form the valley around it. Local tours can be organised with villagers in the nearby settlement of Pilpintus, and other activities such as rock climbing and rappelling can also be arranged.
Anyone interested in heading deeper underground can take part in the tour that leads to the Los Condores mine and the mining village that surrounds it. Due to flooding, it is sometimes not possible to visit the actual mines themselves, but it is worth heading there to have a look at what remains of the mining town. Make sure you stay above ground if you suffer from claustrophobia!
Serrano Grand Circuit
This route is great for road tripping, and offers visitors some of the best sights in the province. The Serrano Grand Circuit has some pretty settlements along its path that you can stop into, as well as stunning natural scenery and some giant feats of engineering, monuments and lookout points. One of the highlights is the Florida dam, a vast body of water created by the flooding of the Trapiche and Grande rivers.
Pueblo Puntano Memorial Monument
13km (8 miles) outside the city you will find the Pueblo Puntano Memorial Monument. This landscaped site is perfect for a leisurely stroll, during which you can visit the monument and check out the fine landscape architecture that surrounds the statue. Constructed in 1991 using local materials found in the province, the monument remembers the population of the Puntano town, who took part in the battle for Argentina’s independence.
Potrero de los Funes
One of the most popular spots in the province and one of the best for tourism, the Potrero de los Funes area is spread around a picturesque lake surrounded by mountains and traversed by rivers and forests. A great spot for hiking, bike riding, fishing, camping or simply picnicking by the lake, Potrero de los Funes has something for everyone, and is located close to the city of San Luis, so you don’t have to go very far to get your fix of nature.
If you plan on spending a little more time in San Luis, perhaps you might be interested in getting to know the local people and experiencing the local culture. One of the best ways to do this is to take a class, and the Casa de las Culturas offers lots of workshops, including guitar classes, singing, photography, drawing and ceramics.
Opened in 2013, this museum is housed in a renovated traditional building typical of the province. Hailed as a new, contemporary and progressive institution for the region, the museum tells visitors the story of the area and allows them to discover the secrets of San Luis for themselves.
Historical Museum of San Luis, San Martín 611, San Luis, Argentina +54 266 445-2000 ext. 8326
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.