Buenos Aires is a haven for lovers of literature. Garnering fame internationally in 2015 when The Guardian reported that it had more bookshops per person than any other city in the world, the capital and its plethora of bookshops make for a fascinating visit for bookworms. Here’s our book lover’s guide to Buenos Aires.
Argentina has a long literary tradition, and some of the world’s foremost authors have come out of the Southern Cone. We take a look at some of Argentina’s biggest hitters.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Jorge Luis Borges
Jorge Luis Borges is not only Argentina’s most well known author, but one of the foremost protagonists of Spanish-language literature in general. Borges has been credited with creating the literary genre “magical realism”, of which famed Colombian writer Gabriel García Márquez was also a proponent. His works deals with metaphysical spaces like fantastical libraries and labyrinths, and also philosophy and religion, inspiring a legion of writers who are drawn to his idiosyncratic style. Check out Labyrinths, a collection of fiction short stories and nonfiction essays for an introduction to this famous Argentine author.
Julio Cortázar was one of the most important authors to come out of Argentina in the 1960s and 70s, forming part of what was known as the Latin American Boom, a period of literary richness in the southern continent. Influenced by Borges, Cortázar was a master of both the short story and the novel, and his works have been the basis of a number of films made by influential filmmakers, such as Jean-Luc Goddard’s 1967 film Week End.
Referred to by Borges as “the quintessential Argentine woman”, Victoria Ocampo was born into Argentine aristocracy and became a central literary figure in Argentina in the 1920s and 30s, the height of the intellectual movement. Most notable for being the editor of literary magazine Sur, she was also an writer and critic, and came from a literary family, her sister Silvina Ocampo also being a well known writer in Argentina.
El Ateneo Grand Splendid
The daddy of all of Buenos Aires’ many bookshops, El Ateneo Grand Splendid is located in a former theatre, and has all the charm of this prestigious venue, coupled with the allure of aisles and aisles of books. Have a coffee on the stage, or find a comfortable nook in one of the theatre boxes on the first floor for the full Ateneo experience.
Av. Santa Fe 1860, Buenos Aires, Argentina, +54 11 4813 6052
The city’s only fully English-language bookshop, Walrus is situated in a quaint, wood panelled building in Buenos Aires’ San Telmo neighbourhood. They also run a number of literary workshops, from creative writing classes to feminist literature reading groups and short story study courses. Check out their Facebook page for new arrivals.
Estados Unidos 617, Buenos Aires, Argentina, +54 11 4300 7135
Librosref is located near a picturesque corner in Palermo and the building itself is a delight to be in. With a carefully curated selection of books, both new, old and rare editions, Librosref stands out because of the informed staff and the friendly, literary atmosphere. Give yourself some time to browse here, you won’t want to leave.
Honduras 4191, Buenos Aires, Argentina, +54 11 4864 6296
Feria del Libro
Every April, one of Latin America’s biggest book fairs descends on Buenos Aires, and its two weeks of presentations, talks, workshops, readings and of course, book sales are a must for anyone with even a passing interest in books and literature. Expect Argentina’s biggest names in writing, publishing and reading to be in attendance.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.