Bariloche, Argentina is famed in the summer for its many hiking trails, the famous Seven Lakes Route and its beautiful and epic scenery. But what about Patagonian winter, that unforgiving and unpredictable season? Skiing, of course, is a huge draw, with Bariloche turning into something of a South American Switzerland in the winter months. But if skiing isn’t your bag, what else is there to do? Let’s find out.
Love the snow but hate to ski? Or don’t know how, or just want a break from being on your feet? Well, sledding is the thing for you. Visitors can rent sleds from many points around Bariloche; whether in a hotel, ski shop or any of the adventure facilities in the region, they will be able to supply you with a sled and show you the best routes. This activity is an ideal one for families and doesn’t involve all the equipment necessary for skiing.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Snow, rain or shine, often there is no better place to be than atop a horse. And in Bariloche, taking a trip on horseback is one of the best ways to see the countryside and to connect with nature. Ride alongside lakes on the shore or through the snow-filled valleys crossing frozen creeks and streams in the woods; the landscape changes every couple of minutes. You can select rides based on your stamina and ability, and an experienced local guide who will show you the best routes and paths in the area will always accompany you.
Even though it is still a form of skiing, the cross-country variety is not quite the same. With skis and poles, you glide along in the snowy landscape, traversing the flat surfaces of the valley floor in between epic mountains and peaks. The Cross-Country Skiing Centre provides you with everything you need to get going, and this is a great option for people who want to get a workout without dealing with the perils of skiing, as this is much less demanding.
Mount Lopez and the lodges
Hiking Mount Lopez is one of the best short hikes in the region. Taking about three hours in total, you will reach the Mount Lopez campsite through a picturesque trail that will bring you up to a height of 2,075 metres (6,808 feet) above sea level. From Mount Lopez, you can check out the three idyllic lodges in the area: López, Roca Negra, and Extremo Encantado. A 4×4 will take you through ancient mountain passes to start your ascent to the lodges in snowshoes, getting the real winter in Bariloche experience.
Take the cable car up Mount Otto
A cable car ride is the joy of the lazy man’s holiday. Travel the 2,100 metres (6,890 feet) from the base of the mountain to the higher cable car centre on Mount Otto and take in the panoramic views afforded to you on this breathtaking journey. Take the cable car on different days and at different times to experience the ever-shifting Patagonian atmospheres, and make sure to bring your camera, as the photo opportunities are one of a kind.
Nothing gets your blood pumping like adrenaline, so one of the best ways to stave off the cold during the winter in Bariloche is to up your blood pressure with some extreme adventure sports. Canopy zip-lining is one of the most fun and least taxing adventure sports out there – you just harness up, clip on and away you go! It’s also one of the best and most unique ways to experience the forests around Bariloche. It’s not every day that you get a literal bird’s-eye view of the landscape in this way.
Located 20 kilometres (12.4 miles) from the city in the Challhuaco Valley, Espacio Neumeyer is a year-round recreational facility, perfect for those potentially dull winter days. The refuge is the starting point for a number of activities, including hiking and snowshoeing. Prepare for snowball fights, snow angels and cups of hot chocolate on your return from a day of fun in the snow.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.