Buenos Aires is a city ripe for culture vultures, and there are plenty of established museums capable of competing with their international peers. However, there is also a thriving underground scene for art lovers. We check out some of the best lesser-known art galleries and art spaces.
UNION is the gallery from the team behind graffitimundo, who have been championing the street art scene for nearly 10 years now. As well as running street art tours and making documentaries about the local urban art culture, graffitimundo also run their own gallery and workshop space. You can find lots of affordable prints and original artworks by some of the city’s most renowned urban artists, as well as lesser-known local artists. Take one of their stencil workshops and do some artwork of your own.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hollywood In Cambodia
Run by the legendary HIC crew, Hollywood in Cambodia is one of Buenos Aires‘ oldest underground art spaces, so off the radar that you might not even realize it’s there. Located at the back of a bar covered in stencils and graffiti, HIC is an artist-run space where you can find a wide selection of reasonably priced artworks by some of Buenos Aires‘ most unique characters, from tattoo artists to punk musicians and graffiti writers.
This quaint art shop in San Telmo offers a great selection across the board from visual artists, illustrators, graphic designers and collage artists. Most of the works are small to medium format, so perfect for your suitcase if you’re traveling. They also have some cute stationary if you want to pick up a notebook or diary. Their stock changes all the time, so you will never get bored of what’s on offer.
This tiny cultural center on a lane in Palermo is one of the city’s most recent additions to the underground art scene. Offering an eclectic selection of art shows by young and emerging artists, POMO is also a music and performance venue, showcasing a range of talent from jazz quartets to international DJs. Be sure to check their Facebook page to see who is exhibiting or performing so you can tell the guy on the door who you have come to see.
Elsi Del Rio
Perhaps the most ‘overground’ of all these underground spaces, Elsi Del Rio is a gallery in Palermo Hollywood that showcases work by some of Argentina’s youngest and best artists, but acts as a sort of bridge space for artists who are crossing over into contemporary art from more diverse artistic genres. Working with a host of young curators, Elsi Del Rio is a place where you can see the best up and coming artists from the city.
This artist-run space in Tigre is emblematic of the lazy delta vibe. The artists who inhabit the ground floor studio can be found grilling on the patio in front of the gallery on the upper floor, and locals will come with their kids to hang out on the steps, creating a familiar and inviting atmosphere. Upstairs there’s everything from prints and original artworks to books and magazines. Spend the day walking around Tigre and check out the other charming shops and cafes that abound in this waterside oasis.
Located in a pretty space in Palermo Soho, MODOS is both an event space and art gallery, putting on art exhibitions as well as experimental music nights on Friday evenings. With a small bar, MODOS is a space run by friends who like to create an atmosphere of conviviality and fun and, if you’re lucky, the events sometimes turn into early dance parties (for Buenos Aires at least) which finish up at about midnight when the gallery closes.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.