The Paraná Delta, and Tigre in particular, are truly magical places. As well as beautiful scenery, there is plenty to see and do, whether you’re visiting for a weekend or a month-long stay, and the region should surely be on your list of must-sees before you die. Here’s a list of reasons why.
It’s close to Buenos Aires
The port town of Tigre, the epicenter of the Paraná Delta, is only 45 minutes away from the city of Buenos Aires by train, which leaves regularly from Retiro station. There are also a number of buses that come back to the capital if you miss the last train, so there’s no excuse not to go.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It’s ideal for a day out of the city…
Forget Colonia in Uruguay, Tigre is where it’s at if you want to escape Buenos Aires for a day. Many choose to “tick” Uruguay off the list, but Tigre is far more enchanting, not to mention much easier on your wallet.
Or a weekend away…
One day not enough? Make a weekend out of it. Between the quaint town with its shops, markets, and cafés, and the picturesque setting of the island and rivers, there’s more than enough to keep you occupied over two or three days.
As a couple…
Tigre is the perfect romantic getaway. You can easily find private cabins tucked away deep into the delta where you will feel like the only two people on Earth—ideal mini-break material.
Or a month-long stint…
It’s common for Argentines to split their summers between Tigre and the city, and often people will negotiate prices with local landlords to rent out a property for a month or two, allowing you to get the full delta experience.
And one of the benefits of renting a cabin or house for a month or longer is that you’ll have plenty of weekends when you can invite friends, who are no doubt dying to get out of the city, to stay with you for the weekend. They can bring you supplies you might be missing and also chip in for the rent. It’s a win win!
The town is charming…
Tigre is immaculately maintained, and it is obvious that people who live here do so for the beauty, and they want to keep it that way. In the main town center, you can’t go more than a few meters without seeing something of interest to stop and look at, and the fact that it is right beside such a natural wonderland makes it all the more interesting.
And full of culture
The delta is chock-full of little galleries, markets, antiques shops, and boutiques. In summer there are a wealth of street parties, food festivals, and dance parties, so there’s something for everyone and it’s impossible to get bored.
And great places to eat
Tigre has lots of little cafés, bars, and restaurants, serving everything from standard Argentine fare like parillas, milanesas, pizzas and empanadas, to higher-class restaurants and health food places. Out on the islands there are a multitude of restaurants overlooking the river, just ask in the tourist information center in town for more details.
It’s great for families too
The Parque de la Costa is a fun amusement park where you can take the kids. Kids also love to take a trip on the water taxi, which takes you on an idyllic trip around the islands.
You will feel like you’re in another world
One of the most amazing things about the delta is how it transports you to a completely different world only an hour away from the bustling metropolis of Buenos Aires. You could be forgiven for thinking you’re in the backwaters of South East Asia, such are the similarities between the color of the water and the lush vegetation.
The delta will wash all your cares away
It is impossible to be anxious once you are out on the delta. At some points you can see the skyline of Buenos Aires in the distance, and you will feel more relaxed than ever. The pace of life is slower in Tigre, and you will forget about all your worries.
You can pretend you’re in a Mark Twain book
The muddy brown waters, the overhanging trees, the lopsided wooden jetties, the boats put-putting down the river… what could be more Mark Twain-esque? Tigre will transport you to another time and place, and you can live out your South American fantasy or your fantasy of being in the Deep South of America.
You can party on the river
One of the best things to do on the delta is to get a gang of revelers together and rent a party boat. Boats can be hired for the afternoon, and you can bring your own booze, food, and music to make the day truly yours. There is nothing like partying on a riverboat and then jumping into the water to let you know you’re having a good time.
You can go to the beach
There are beaches dotted all over the delta. You can go to one of the public beaches, or, if you’re lucky, the cabin or house you rent will have its own private beach. Many of the houses also have swimming pools, if the silty water of the delta doesn’t appeal to you.
You can do water sports
Kayaking is a very popular sport on the delta. Its leisurely pace, low energy requirement and low skill level make it perfect for the sleepy nature of Tigre. You can even do night kayaking trips. If you have a boat, get a donut to cast off the back and whip around on the river that way—it’s super fun!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.