In Buenos Aires, where wine has been declared the national beverage, getting to know more about grape varietals, food and wine pairings, how wine is made and even how to survive a restaurant wine list can be a great plan for an evening night out.
Choosing a wine amid a plentiful aisle can be an intimidating experience. If not simply relying on a friend’s recommendation, many of us could easily end up choosing a bottle by the design on its label. As the market grows, with more and more options, wine classes have become increasingly popular. A number of venues in Buenos Aires offer classes where you will learn what a “velvety mouthfeel” tastes like and when it is okay to mention “tannins,” so you can sound like a world-class sommelier. Here, you will get to sample many different wines and get insider tips to further enjoy one of life’s greatest pleasures.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
While from the outside this little shop may not look like anything other than a historic corner store, upon closer inspection Almacén Otamendi is as trendy as a gourmet wine store can be. This place offers an “ABC of wine” that consists of four weekly classes covering the history of wine, Argentina’s wine regions, a number of tasting games and even practical tips for starting your own wine collection. The cost is about US$50 for the four classes, which can be booked through their website or Facebook page.
What could possibly be better than an independent bookstore with an impressive selection of books, carefully handpicked? An independent bookstore that is also a wine dealer and regularly hosts inventive wine tastings that can even include prizes! Autre Monde holds its tastings in its cozy loft space, where one or two wines are selected by a sommelier for the pleasure of the guests. Discussions about films or even philosophy are no strange occurrence to regulars, who know that wine is better paired with a spirited conversation. Check out their Facebook page for future events.
At Vico’s you buy a card upon arrival, just like a transportation card, load it up and then pay by the glass. From an offer of 140 different wines from Argentina and the rest of the world, you can pick the one you wish within the refrigerated cellars. Three different glass sizes are available (tasting, half-glass and full glass). Prices start at US$2 per glass. Book your reservation here.
Come Wine With Us
Perhaps one of the more relaxed ways of trying new wines with friends is the pop-up experience from Come Wine With Us. With just a few options expertly selected for each event, Come Wine With Us showcases wineries from all over the country, taking place in different bars and wine shops each time. The event is perfect for a date or going out with a group of friends, or, if feeling courageous enough, by yourself. Upcoming events and reservations can be found on their website.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.