Discover the depths of Chilean and Argentinian Patagonia, from spotting penguins to scaling mountains and trekking through some of the most incredible surroundings. We’ve rounded up all the adventures you absolutely shouldn’t miss.
Day 1: Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales
Start your week in the serene location of Punta Arenas, one of the closest Chilean towns to Antarctica. From there, take a ferry to Isla Magdalena, a very popular penguin spotting location in South America where penguins rule the island and approximately 60,000 breeding pairs come every year. You can then visit Bahia Inutil where the only colony of king penguins outside of Antarctica resides. After a day of watching these adorable penguins in their natural habitat, it’s time to press on to Puerto Natales.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Day 2: Puerto Natales to Torres del Paine
A crucial stopping point for those heading to the Torres del Paine National Park, Puerto Natales is a modest fishing port with a string of corrugated tin houses that now has a handful of hiking shops for its visitors to browse. From there you can either rent a car or jump on a bus to the famed Torres del Paine National Park. Whether you want to go into the wild to set up your camp, stay in rustic refugios (hiking hostels) or live the high life in one of the many boutique hotels with incredible views, enjoy spending the afternoon discovering your surroundings—wherever you’re situated, there are bound to be some waterfalls or lakes to visit.
Day 3: Hiking in Torres del Paine
If you’re a keen hiker and want to hike the more advanced W or O trails, you will need to allow for a longer stay in the Torres del Paine National Park as they take between four to ten days (the W trail being the shorter of the two). If you’re on a tight schedule then today is the day to do the Torres hike! Some hikers tend to start before sunrise to catch views of the three towers as the sun comes up. Once you’ve reached the creamy green lake and the humongous towering peaks, you can relax and take in your well-earned view. Why not treat yourself to a meal in one of the refugios or hotels after your hard trek?
Day 4: Pehoe Lake and Grey Glacier
Stroll around the stunning turquoise Pehoe Lake and if your legs are tired from hiking, you can take a boat across the lake to enjoy the surrounding waterfalls and magnificent vistas. Your last afternoon in Chile should be spent at Grey Lake where the huge Grey Glacier sits. It’s accessible via a boat trip or by hiking across the ice on a Bigfoot Patagonia excursion where all the necessary equipment will be provided. Enjoy your last evening in Chilean Patagonia before heading to Argentinian Patagonia!
Day 5: Torres del Paine to El Calafate
It will be best to get the earliest possible bus out of Torres del Paine and across the Chile-Argentina border as the queues can take a longer time later in the day. Once you have arrived at El Calafate, Argentina’s glacier capital, you can peruse the shops on the main street, go horseback riding and settle into your accommodation. Enjoy an evening meal at any of El Calafate’s various restaurants to fuel up for the next day’s adventures.
Day 6: El Calafate to El Chalten
El Calafate’s most impressive attraction is the Perito Moreno Glacier in the Los Glaciares National Park. Spend the day seeing the huge glacier from a number of angles and listening to the loud thuds of glaciers melting and hitting the water. You can also walk around the park’s paths, take a boat trip to the glacier or even go on an ice-trekking trip across it. Once you have experienced the grandeur of Perito Moreno, make your way to the sleepy rustic town of El Chalten, where you can stay in hostels, refugios or eco domes.
Day 7: Cerro Fitz Roy
Your final day should be spent hiking one of the most impressive trails at the Cerro Fitz Roy. While the first half of the hike is a pleasant walk through the forests to the glaciers, the last part of the trek is hard work. Once you complete the hike, you will be greeted with extremely beautiful vistas. If you can’t bear to tear yourself away, there are plenty more hikes as well as glaciers you can visit either by boat or by kayak around El Chalten.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.