Buenos Aires is the international mecca of tango. The dance and its accompanying music were born in the port city and Argentine capital, and Buenos Aires still claims its spot as the number one place in the world to learn tango. We round up a list of the best places to learn this enchanting dance in the city.
Perhaps one of the most well known milongas, or tango dancehalls in Buenos Aires, this Palermo Soho location draws the best of the local tango scene, but for complete novices it also offers classes that are split into six different levels of experience, so you don’t need to feel embarrassed if you are a tango virgin. Classes can be enrolled in at any time of the year without booking in advance, and they also offer salsa, rock, swing and bachata classes to get your hips swinging no matter what dance floats your boat.
Armenia 1366, Palermo, Buenos Aires, Argentina, +54 11 2616 1122
La Catedral is better known for its venue than for its tango classes. Located in a crumbling old building in the heart of Almagro, La Catedral used to be a flour storage space, and the vast cavernous space with its high ceilings and assortment of random nooks and crannies speak to its former life. A great option for tourists who are looking to dip their toe in the tango pool without jumping in head first, La Catedral offers classes every day, on Mondays and Wednesday at midday, and also every evening before the nightly milonga gets going. Head there around 7.30pm for a class and then put your skills to work on the dancefloor when the live music begins around 10.30pm.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sarmiento 4006, Almagro, Buenos Aires, Argentina, +54 11 5325 1630
This tango school is located in a beautiful old mansion in the southern neighbourhood of San Telmo and exudes all the classic charm of Buenos Aires. As well as being a tango school, Mariposita doubles as a boutique hotel and cultural centre, inviting visitors, guests and students to really live and breathe the tango experience. It takes its tango seriously, and there are a wide range of classes for everyone from beginners to experts. Take a group or a private class, or if you are interested in really perfecting certain aspects of the dance, take a choreography class or a coaching lesson for professional dancers.
Carlos Calvo 950, San Telmo, Buenos Aires, Argentina, +54 11 4300 3247
Academia de Tango Mora Godoy
Widely considered one of the best places to train in tango in the world, Academia de Tango Mora Godoy is run by internationally renowned tango artist Mora Godoy, who famously danced with Barack Obama on his state visit to Argentina in 2015. This school is considered revolutionary in the world of tango because it was the first to break out of the traditional mould of tango and introduce new concepts and styles, something which had never been attempted before.
Av Pueyrredon 1090, Recoleta, Buenos Aires, Argentina, +54 11 8541 2542
Escuela de Tango has a long history of dance education, with over 20 years experience in the training of students and teachers. The school is focused on preserving the history of tango and keep the energy of tango alive in the city. Classes are held daily from Monday to Saturday and occasionally invited teachers give special workshops on a variety of topics related to dance and movement.
Junín 143, Once, Buenos Aires, Argentina, +54 11 4953 1212
DNI Tango is perfect for people passing through the city who want to get a taste of what tango is all about. Attracting a young crowd of travelers, expats and people spending a few months in Buenos Aires, DNI Tango offers classes for all levels in a number of languages, and you can attend group classes, private classes, themed classes or workshops. Check out a free introductory class to see if tango is for you.
Bulnes 1011, Almagro, Buenos Aires, Argentina, +54 11 4866 6553
This is the place to go if you are serious about making tango a central part of your life. Also known as the University of Tango, the Centro del Tango de Bueno Aires offers numerous courses that revolve around tango, from the history and culture of the dance to tango instructor training and the musical language of tango. Some of the courses are free, so you can brush up on the theoretical side of tango while you take a break from dancing.
Agrelo 3231, Almagro, Buenos Aires, Argentina, +54 11 4957 1382
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.