Argentina is a foodie’s paradise, and all over the country you can find amazing restaurants run by world class chefs. Here are the biggest and best Argentine chefs that should be on your radar for your foodie adventure in Argentina.
Francis Mallmann is perhaps Argentina’s most well-known chef, at least internationally. Those who may not have been familiar with him a few years ago might have seen him on the first episode of the Netflix series Chef’s Table, where he wowed audiences with his love of fire and his wild Patagonian existence. He has restaurants in Mendoza and Buenos Aires, and is a chef you need to know for his eccentric character as well as his cooking.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Germán Martitegui is the founder and proprietor of one of Buenos Aires’ most highly regarded restaurants, Tegui. Tegui frequently makes it onto lists of the top 50 restaurants in Latin America, and its exotic dining room and excellent food make for a unique dining experience. Martitegui has also twice acted as a judge on the TV series Argentine MasterChef.
This Argentine chef runs the beautiful Butterfly Restaurant in the Patagonian city of Bariloche. Andres Lopez’s food is a mix of tradition and invention, and the dishes that are served in this lakeside restaurant are at once comforting and unusual. Using local and seasonal ingredients, he infuses his food with French and Spanish influences, remnants of his training in Europe before he decided to settle in Patagonia.
Hernán Gipponi worked in Spain, in Michelin-starred restaurants in Bilbao and Valencia, before returning to Argentina. His fame was cemented when he ran his eponymous restaurant in Palermo Hollywood’s Fierro Hotel, and after he parted ways with the hotel a few years back, he teamed up with the crew at Nana, and remains one of the leading names on the Argentine culinary scene.
Argentine chef and TV presenter Narda Lepes has more then earned her place among the best chefs in Argentina. She is the star of several gastronomy TV series and travel programs, as well as the author of cookbooks, and she even has her own line of kitchenware. She also has a new restaurant in Buenos Aires, so fans of the culinary queen can dine in Narda Comedor to experience the real deal.
Leo Lanussol and Augusto Mayer
The guys behind Proper have crafted one of the best dining experiences in the city of Buenos Aires. Located in a former garage, this rough and ready eatery serves up delightful plates of interesting ingredients cooked in tantalisingly tasty ways. An avant garde culinary journey to be sure, Proper is where London or New York meets South America, with a hipster vibe but local flavours.
The chef behind Buenos Aires’ beloved curry house-come-tapas bar is onto a good thing. The dishes in his restaurant, Gran Dabbang, are small sharing plates that pack a seriously tasty punch, full of exotic flavours from India and Asia. No bookings are taken, so you have to show up early, because when it’s full, it’s full. Ramon knows his way around the local food scene and is heavily involved in the Masticar food festival that takes place in the Argentine capital each year.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.